Wood Banquet Table

$200
Advanced

A few months back my husband and I went to a wedding and they had the most beautiful wood banquet tables for the guests to sit at. I decided to draw up a plan and build one myself (and save A LOT of money we’d have to spend to find one already made)

We started by cutting out the base/frame with 2x4.

2 cut to 65”

2 cut to 29”

3 cut to 27”

We then cut the legs to 29” using 4x4.

Using metal brackets, we attached the legs to the 2x4 frames.

We then added 3 braces in the middle of the frame to help with stability.

Once we finished with the frame, we cut 1x6 boards to run accessed the top of the table cut to 3’. We placed one on each end of the table top, then added the 1x6 wood to frame around the outside making sure the outside wood was level with the boards on top.

outside frame measurements

2 cut to 6’

2 cut to 38”

We then cut and finished the rest of the table top. Using 2 screws on each end of the boards.

Checked to make sure the table was sturdy and level.

I brushed on one coat of minwax stain in provincial. (I did this inside, but had doors and windows open and fans on). If you can, I would recommend staining outdoors unless your indoor area is well ventilated.

After the stain had dried for 48 hours, i sealed the table with 5 coats of minwax polycrilic in matte finish.

If you decide to try this project, I highly recommend measuring your wood as you go to be sure it’s cut to the exact size needed. Sometimes wood is warped or has other issues that may lead to a slightly different measurement than the one I provided.

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss

• Jazell

Is there anyway to really weather (moisture) proof wood items and furniture?

• MaryAnn

This would be a great rustic dining table in a Great Room Setting. I could also see this as a great start on a roomy kitchen island. Some shelves and locking casters. I would add a ¾ in plate glass or poly topper to protect the wood and have an easy to clean and sanitize work area. Kitchens never have enough counter space. It could be painted white for the farmhouse look, or I like it stained for the rustic ranch or cabin look. In my family cooking was a family affair with 4-5 of us working together on holidays. This is a really nice table. I would love one in my kitchen.

• Donna

Did you also make the table runner? If so, can you please provide link to instructions if you have it. Beautiful project!

• Donna

Thank you! Yours came out beautifully.

• Kcole

Do you remember where you got the runner?

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

I actually made it. I found the tutorial on Pinterest. However, I’ve seen similar patterned ones available on amazon 😊

• Ardis Ann Matson

Yes, my husband will!!

• Elliebgood

Great table.

My father was a home builder and back in his day, he built ground up solid and to last.

I’m currently living in the family home that he built and every time I tackle the smallest of repairs, I can see and touch his hard work and exceptional attention to detail.

A table like this would be a great replacement for my current table if I had his talent or Nikki’s.

If I could say one thing I would do differently is that I would screw 1x1’s around the inner skirt (the 1x6’s going around the top) and nail the table top pieces to it from below.

I just don’t care for the screw heads being visible, besides, they might catch on sleeves and collect table crud, even with multiple coats of paint, varnish, poly, or whatever used on the surface.

Just my two cents worth....

from the daughter of a builder,

who I miss every day.

Thanks for letting me comment and brag about my father. 🌹