DIY Craft Table

$30
1 Day

Hi friends! I’ve been working hard to spruce up my little craft corner and organize my wood shop without spending a lot of money, so I set out to build a craft table from mostly scraps! Here’s how I did it -
I had these junky looking 2” x 4” boards laying around, so I cut eight of them to the height I wanted my table legs to be. I chose 28”.
Then I screwed two boards together with 2.5” screws for each leg.
To cover the ugly old 2” x 4” boards, I gathered up other scraps of various size pieces of wood to wrap them.
Wrapping the legs is super easy - I just measured the sides and cut each piece to fit, added a little wood glue and nailed them on with 1.25” brad nails from my nail gun.
Here’s the finished look! You can get creative and use fancy trim/moulding or just keep it simple with cheap or scrap lumber like I did!

I finished off the legs with a light sanding and painted them with Graham & Brown Warm Moon.
For my table top, I purchased seven 2” x 6” x 8’ boards and cut them down to 70” long. I made sure the nicer sides were facing down, since that will be my top.
I had seven 2” x 6” scraps at 26” long after I cut my pieces to 70”, so I used those scraps to build my support frame for the bottom of my table top. I wood glued and screwed all the boards together with 2.5” screws and added pocket holes from my Kreg Jig to the corners to attach my table legs.
One of the 2” x 6” boards was warped, so I added a shim between the face board and my support board to push the warped board down and make it even with the other boards. Without the shim, the screw would suck the warped board up and the table top would be uneven. If I were building a table for a nice piece of furniture that more people would see and use (i.e., a kitchen table or coffee table), I would have probably purchased a new board.
I used 3” screws in my pocket holes to attach the table legs.
Look how good those legs look! 😍 I used my orbital sander to sand the table top down with 80 and 220 grit sand paper.
Then I stained the top with Minwax Special Walnut. My fav way to apply stain is with old socks, shirts, pillow cases, sheets, etc. I use one end of my cloth to wipe the stain on and then the other to wipe it back off right away.
To see how I redid this little corner, be sure to check out my other posts on Hometalk or follow me on Instagram.

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness/