DIY Built In Cabinet

$50

We had a little nook in our sunroom that was basically wasted space. When we looked at this house, the old owners clearly didn't know what to do with this space in the sunroom either which you can tell by the picture below.

So I tried to make it function and pretty with shelves and a small little dresser for storage. But as you can see that didn't work well either and oust became a catch all.

That's when I had the idea to finally just build something. I went to our local restore and purchased deconstructed 2x4s for only $1 a piece. I then went through my scrap wood pile and found some remaining wood that I could use.

They only thing I purchased new was 2 3' 1x2s for the top.

I then started framing out the built in with the 2x4s. It was a standard frame that I could then build off of.

I put in a piece of scrap plywood inside to use as a shelf.

I then placed the rest of the scrap wood in the front and also purchased two cabinet doors from the restore for $10. Added those and put the 1x12s on the top after staining them. The bottom was complete.!

I then found an upper cabinet on the Facebook Marketplace for $20 hung it up and painted everything white.

I can't believe the difference in this little nook! It now holds are entertaining supplies for out door parties as well as some outdoor toys we can grab on the way out the door to the backyard!

Tara Boettger

• Shannon Farmer Massa

This looks great. The best thing about doing things yourself is that they can be done to your own taste. I like the less symmetrical look too. By offsetting the upper cabinet you leave yourself room to use the wall and I love your use of space by hanging the (is it jars?) under the cabinet. I’d like a closer look at that project. It’s very nice and adds an eclectic touch to the room. Great job, you should be very proud!!

I also just LOVE the look of mixing painted cupboards with the stained countertop!

• Windy

This is a great idea.

• Dsouther

Very nice job but did you install shelves in the lower area?

• Samantha

I love it ... very very nice and neat ...

• Rachel Richards

I think I will try this too for extra storage space in my laundry room/garage. Thanks for sharing!