Laundry Room Sign and Sock Basket

$4

If your house is anything like mine, you have a pile of socks missing their mates. My kids are notorious for taking their socks off in the weirdest places, and the socks usually never make it to the laundry room at the same time. Rather than keeping a plastic bag of socks in the laundry room, I made this sign with attached basket to contain the socks (and make them easier to sort through).

For this project, you need:

-a small board and desired finishing supplies (stain, or paint)

-materials for the lettering (vinyl, paint, etc)

-a basket (wire works well)

-hardware to attach the basket and hang the board

I always have TONS of scrap boards, so it wasn’t hard to find one that would work for this project. This particular piece is a 12” long piece of 1x8 (actually 7.25”), but pick a size that works for you and fits the basket.

To prep my board, I painted it white, then distressed slightly.

I cut this vinyl on my Cricut, but you can add lettering several other ways if you don’t have a vinyl cutter. (There was a recent Hometalk video showing how to make signs with your printer and Modge Podge that would be perfect for this!)

After applying the vinyl, I did a little more distressing and a quick whitewash to age the lettering a little.

For the basket, I found this one at Walmart for $3 in their kitchen section. It is 11” long, so it fits well on the board. You also need a way to attach the basket. You can use cup hooks to make the basket removable, but I already had these 1/4” cable clamps from another project and they fit perfectly on the basket.

I had originally planned to use a Dollar Tree basket, but the one I had in mind was not available at the store I looked at and I think would have been too small for the number of odd socks we usually have.

I sprayed a quick coat of flat black paint on the basket and clips. The copper color would be great as-is, though!

Attach everything together, and add hardware to hang. I used small sawtooth hangers.

Hang on the wall and fill ‘er up!

I actually already have gray paint for the laundry room, but haven’t gotten around to clearing everything out to paint. Otherwise I would have picked a color other than white for my sign. 😁

25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items

• Sylvia Rosa

I am totally going to do this, so cute !

Great job!!!!!!!!

• Kim Weston

So cute! I’m going to try this. Would you mind telling me what fonts you used and where you got them?

• Amanda

The large font is “Karley” on Cricut Design Space. I don’t remember what I used for the small one.