Modern Rustic Tea-light Plinths From Scrap Wood

$2

Wood off-cuts give more presence to delicate candles. No sawing required.

A while ago I commented to a fellow Hometalker that I was very jealous of the bag of scrap wood she managed to source. Then, lo and behold, I managed to find my own - bags and bags of the stuff from a small furniture maker and destined to be used as tinder.

Tipping out a bag of scraps is such an adventure, you never know what treasures you might find. Plus these are apparently oak - quite rare in these parts and definitely too fancy to be destined for the braai (barbecue). I racked my brains for something to make out of at least some of them. And since I was on holiday and had no access to power-tools, there were limitations to what I could do.

Luckily there were many suitable bits that only had to be arranged, lightly sanded to get rid of splinters and then stuck together with a glue gun (which I did bring along). I took photos of each one before disassembling to sand and stick because I seemed to forget how I arranged them initially.

I don’t think any additional instructions are necessary since it is such a straightforward project. Easy and satisfying!