Upcycle Vintage Doorplates Into Christmas Ornaments

$5

A few days ago I was thinking about making some ornaments for my Christmas tree using my grandma’s vintage costume jewelry. As I thought about how I would put it all together, inspiration hit! I remembered I had some vintage doorplates.

I love  incorporating vintage items into my decor. I’ve been waiting for the perfect project to use the doorplates on and this was it! For these ornaments I used the vintage doorplates, grandma’s costume jewelry and crystals from an old chandelier.

Materials Used for the Christmas Ornaments

• Vintage doorplates
  • Vintage Costume Jewelry
  • Chandelier crystals
  • Headpins
  • beads
  • E6000 glue
  • Ribbon or cord
  • Craft wire

I first attached the crystal from the chandelier by placing a beading headpin through the hole in the crystal piece.

I then placed the headpin through the bottom hole of the doorplate.

I then placed a bead on the headpin. The bead should be large enough that it will not go through the hole that is in the doorplate.

The bead will be on the backside of the doorplate. I then used pliers to twist the wire around the bead. This does not need to be fancy, it will not show. It is just meant to hold the bead in position and keep the crystal in place.

Tie a ribbon or cord through top hole for a hanger for the ornament.

The last part will be attaching the vintage jewelry. I used my grandma’s vintage brooches. I placed a bead of E6000 glue on the rim where the door handle would have been. I then placed the brooch on top and let it dry for several hours.

I love the way these ornaments turned out, a little rustic and a little glam. A fun combination and I also love how quickly they came together. I was able to create 5 ornaments in 30 minutes! Gotta love that!

For more photos with different styles of doorplates, please see my blog post here.

What do you think of my Vintage Doorplate Christmas Ornaments? Is this something you would like to try? Do you love incorporating vintage items into you decor?

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Perfectly Round Tables
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Sunny Side Design

• Way4602905

Don'tt you think that would be extremely heavy to hang from a tree??

• Belinda Smith

Would look great in a frame with vintage sepia paper.. and hung as a collection .. very nice love them

• Sunny Side Design

That is a great idea Belinda! I think they turned out so beautiful, I don't think I will be putting them a way with the other ornaments. I want to still enjoy them.