Ribbon Christmas Tree Ornaments

$10

I started buying my husband Christmas ornaments back when we were dating. Once we had kids, I continued the tradition, but a few years ago I was having trouble finding “the perfect one” for each child. That’s when I decided to start MAKING my own ornaments. Now, my daughters and I pick one Saturday in December, turn on Christmas music, and get creating. I imagine that someday when they have their first apartment, they will look back with special memories as they unpack all their ornaments they’ve collected throughout the years. This year I picked ribbon Christmas tree ornaments.

Here’s what you’ll need: 

• ribbon (I used 3/8 inch)
  • beads--and seed beads too (the small, clear beads are called seed beads and came with the beads I bought. These secure the ends.) 
  • thread
  • ruler
  • thin point marker or pen
  • scissors, thread and a needle

Cut the ribbon into a 19″ strip. With a thin point marker, mark a dot 2″ from the end. 

From that dot, mark dots along the ribbon spacing them apart at: 2-3/4”, 2-1/2”, 2-1/4”, 2”, 1-3/4”, 1-1/2”, 1-1/4” and 1”. (The spaces get smaller by a 1/4″). 

Double thread your needle and insert it into the first dot that was marked at 2″, then add a bead and a seed bead. 

Come back through the bead and the ribbon to secure the bottom of the tree. Add another bead and go through the next dot. 

Continue adding beads and going through your dots until you have 4 loops on each side. Once you are through your last dot, you are ready to add the bead (and a seed bead to secure it) that will represent the star.

Go through the “star” bead and seed bead, then come back through JUST your big bead (not the seed bead). 

Next go back through BOTH beads. Cut the needle off and tie the ends together to form a loop.

Lastly, trim back the tips of the ribbon and you are done! You have yourself a Christmas tree ornament!

I started playing with a few different colors of ribbon. They turned out beautifully. The possibilities really are endless! What do you think? For more Christmas crafts, check out my  DIY Cone Christmas Trees and my  DIY Christmas gift tags.

Pamela - DIY vibes

• Debbie

Love these & then would look so pretty in a window with the color clear beads!

• Pamela - DIY vibes

I agree! I think next year I'll hang some in my kitchen window.