Easy DIY Snowman's Hat

$5

Make a DIY Snowman's Hat using items from a thrift store. It's an easy craft that is great for holiday tabletop decor or as a centerpiece.

I went to Goodwill specifically to find items that would work for a snowman hat. I found a brass planter and a charger that were both just the right size for this. Painting and adding some Dollar Tree items was all it took to make this cute holiday decor piece.

I gave the planter one coat of black spray paint + primer. After it dried, it got another coat. Since I’ll be using this indoors, I didn’t give it a protective coat.

The charger is black on the bottom, so it didn’t need to be painted. I ran a bead of hot glue along the bottom rim of the charger and then held the planter in place for a minute until it was adhered. 

The ribbon I bought was a bit too wide for the look I wanted. I folded it over, adding a few staples to hold it together. Starting at the back center, I added small dots of hot glue around the planter while wrapping the ribbon around. 

The fun part of making a snowman's hat is deciding on what kind of embellishments to us. I found some glittery picks at The Dollar Tree. After removing the stems, I glued three of them to the base of the hat. 

I removed the stems from pine cone floral picks and glued a few of them in place. The gold snowflake used as a hat pin is an ornament hanger that also came from The Dollar Tree. 

I added a berry pick and another of the red floral picks to the top of the hat.

Using more Dollar Tree Ribbon, I tied a small bow and hot glued it onto the red stems.

A snowman's hat has to have some snow, right? I used part of a bag of fine snow that I had on hand and craft glue. Mod Podge could also be used.

I used an old paint brush to spread the glue onto the hat. Placing the hat inside of a large cardboard box helped keep the mess to a minimum as I sprinkled the snow over the glue, working in small sections until I had the coverage I liked. 

The cost of this was very low and I’m happy with how it turned out. It's an easy project that is a fun addition to our holiday decor.

To see this and more easy holiday crafts, visit us at Across the Blvd!

The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd

• Lorna Wiebe

It looks really cute but I don't understand what the charger is for or how you would use it. Can you explain please? Thanks

• Patricia

The charger is the bottom part of the hat. Glue the planter to the charger.

• Linda Hudak

Is a charger a plate?

• Deb

I had a friend use an old record for the brim

• Ann

Love this ....Will definitely do this project. Did you turn the planter upside down....if not how did you the top of the hat?