Asked on Dec 8, 2019

How do I remove wallpaper?

Johnavallance82Maura WhiteEmy Flint | Semigloss Design
+4

• Lifestyles Homes

I always use a spray bottle of warm water and 1/3 ratio of vinegar. You could add a couple of drops of liquid soap.

Let it soak and re-spray and soak again.

Plastic putty knife works well and doesn’t rust.

If you have a lot to do, buy the spiked roller. It’s worth it.

• Janice

Hi Theresa, in years past, I've used fabric softener and very hot water in a spray bottle to "release" the glue after using a wall paper scorer which is a palm sized tool to penetrate the wallpaper. Here's a video using additional supplies. Many different ways to get wall paper removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvBdijrPSGA

• Deb K

Hi Theresa, I have found the best way is to steam it off, You can rent a fabric steamer, or a cleaning steamer for this, I have one and it sure makes a lot of jobs much easier. They are inexpensive and sell for less than $20. Here's a quick video, hope it helps you

https://www.hgtv.com/videos/remove-wallpaper-with-steamer-0189832

• Dee

This is exactly how I have removed wallpaper in 3 rooms. In fact I showed this to my neighbor who was pulling her hair out just using a scraper. I used Downey which also made the rooms smell wonderful. Leave it on for about 20 minutes after you first score it with a paper tiger, then take a PLASTIC scraper and the old wallpaper comes off 123.

• I've found that water and vinegar, plus a plastic putty knife work best. It takes forever, but some projects are like that. Be sure you clean the walls afterwards to remove the glue residue. I wash mine with water and vinegar until they no longer feel slimy. Then wash again with water.

• Maura White

I sprayed on liquid fabric softener and scraped it off.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Theresa

Use a steamer or wet sponge and a scraper.......... Mucky but worth it.