Asked on Dec 8, 2019

How do I protect the enamel surface of my antique kitchen table?

BetsyCarrie @ Curly Crafty MomDeb K
+5

Are there any waxes or coatings that can help protect the enamel top on my maybe 1940s kitchen table it's in good condition and I'd like to keep it that way. Or do I just have to be careful and hope for the best? Anyone have knowledge about this?

• How about a glass top? Easy to care for and you will never have to worry.

• Deb K

Hi Barb, you are using the table everyday, but you want to be able to show it off, so why not use nice place mats and trivets to protect it. Try to be mindful, but enjoy it for what it is. You could even put a nice table runner down and if you really wanted to, put a clear vinyl table protector on it for big busy meals

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I suggest a glass top. They sell some on Amazon.

Hi Barb: A friend of mine has an old wooden table and went to a glass shop, I think it was Henderson Glass, and they came and measured the table and brought the finished product to her house and placed it on the table. It's really hard to do as it could flex and break if you try to do it yourself. The guys who brought it broke the first one:) The glass is thick and she's had it for years. She put one of her grandmothers handmade doilies under it:) It looks great. Anyway, that's what I'd do. But, if you don't want to do that, I'd just be really careful and use place mats for everything, especially really hot dishes and pots. Good luck

• Barb C

Thank you Betsy. I jumped on the glass idea but then thought that while the table looks flat and level it probably is not as flat as a plate of glass and it might rock a tiny bit or wear on the table surface. I think I'm going to order some clear thick vinyl cut to size and try that. I wouldn't have thought of it though if people hadn't suggested glass. Thank you for your comment, appreciate it.

Always happy to help :) Good luck with your table.