Asked on Dec 9, 2019

How do I clean pots and pans with baked-on grease?

BetsyWithin the GroveDebbie/Dragonfly Treasure
+4

How to clean pots and pans with built up residue on them

• I usually use a steel wool pad. If that doesn't work, try vinegar. It will get rid of any calcium deposits.

• SawHorse Design Build

If you are cleaning the inside of the pot/ pan then use baking soda (1/3 cup) and bring to a boil for 20 min or so. If you are cleaning the outside of the pot then apply the baking soda and use vinegar to activate it so the chemical reaction can help you clean it. Don't use anything abrasive on the interior if the pot/ pan has a coating. The outside should not matter if you use a scratch pad.

• Thrifted Nest

I like to boil water on the stove in the pan before scrubbing. It loosens the grime so you don’t have to scrub as hard!

• Kathy Gunter Law

I recently used barkeeper's friend and steel wool to remove build up off some old pots.

Another option that worked well for me was marble paste or an SOS pad.

No matter what you do, there's a lot of "elbow grease" involved.

I would help it out by soaking in a blue Dawn and boiling water solution.

• Within the Grove

Barkeepers friend and a steel wood pad has always done wonders for me!

Hi Pamela: What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (use just a bit of vinegar at first as the cream of tartar sort of melts) and put it on the gunk. Maybe start out with 3 tablespoons of cream of tartar and a 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar. Add more of whatever to make a paste. It should stick to a vertical surface if it's thick enough. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. There is no smell and it is environmentally safe. Good luck.