Mid Century Modern Even More Modern

$80

I love mid century modern furniture because of how well it works in today's modern living spaces. Since they are usually about 60 years old or so I sometimes find them in bad condition. Or with formica top. When that happens I restore what I can and paint what I can't. Here is my latest completed project

Before

I stared off with removing the old hardware and sanded the drawers with and electric sander 100, 120 180 and 220 grit. Once that was done I started painting the formica top and part of the sides.

I used a foam roller and white latex paint.

Drawers stained

Once that was all done. I stained the drawers with minwax penetrating stain in color provincial and let it dry for 24 hours. After that all wood surfaces got a policrylic clear coat. I also applied water based policrylic coat on the top of the dresser for a durable easy to clean finish. Water based Policrylic is easy to use over paint and won't yellow the white paint like oil based polyurethane.

I decided to add something cool to the front drawers as well. A geometric triangle design came to mind. I used the same white paint as well as metallic paint. I used frogtape to mark my section and started painting

Frogtape design

I added new knobs because one was missing. You can find inexpensive minimalistic brass knobs on Amazon. Once all was done it was time to take pictures. If you like this dresser see my other items on Instagram @andreapalmai

The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Perfectly Round Tables
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized

• Matilyn

I would like to paint a stained mid century credenza one colour maybe black. What paint would you suggest .

• Andrea Palmai

If you are painting furniture the first time a chalk paint is a good option. But my go to is rustoleum latex paint. The same paint I used for this but in black.

• Tommy

In viewing your pictures noticed that one side was painted white and the other side was stained same color as drawer fronts. Was there a reason for this or is this what you preferred?

• Krafty Mrs.K

I loved that you kept some of the stained wood. Using Stain Is not much harder than a well done paint job but so much classier.

• Ida9464

Lovely