Seasonal Bowl From Nutcrackers and a Lamp Shade

$16

A glass lampshade is literally elevated to become a holiday centrepiece.

I discovered an unused bathroom light shade that we had bought a while ago. It had been a replacement shade but was too small for the fitting and was therefore languishing in an already crowded cupboard. Time to make it work.

I bought an unpainted place-mat from a charity shop and some cheap nutcracker decorations from another. Any similiar item such as a wood cutting-board, small plastic tray or frame or perhaps even a mirror could also serve as a base for this project. I was just happy to find the placemat because it didn’t need any special preparation to paint. In retrospect, a round one would have been even better but I was very happy to find this one.

I already had the glue-gun, paper, pen, scissors, spray-paint and gold nail varnish that was needed.

I gave the place-mat a couple of coats of gold spray-paint. If this is too plain for you you could always decoupage yours or use a couple of strips of washi tape to liven it up.

Next I had to determine how far apart the nutcrackers had to stand for the shade to nestle into them. I drew the circumference of the shade onto paper and then cut it out. This took a bit of planning since the shade is rounded and I couldn’t work on the very widest circumference because that would mean there would be nothing for the shade to rest on. I decided to play it safe and drew the circle 1cm or so smaller. A rounded object can rest on almost any smaller circular base after all. Once I had the paper circle I had a template from which to work.

I positioned the circle on the place-mat and positioned the figures around it. I used some Prestik (sticky tack?) - small blob visible in the picture above- to keep them in place whilst I tested the position of the shade on top of them.

Mind the gap

There was just one major flaw with my plan: the nutcrackers were not equally tall. I solved this by adding a blob or two of glue to the short ones, starting with one blob, letting it dry and then adding subsequent ones. I must admit, at this point I had visions of uneven chair legs being sawn repeatedly

until there were only still uneven stumps left. Was I going to keep adding glue blobs until I matched the tower of Babel?

I painted the dried blobs with gold nail polish. Nobody is going to notice one extra piece of brass on a soldier’s helmet, are they? The more obvious solution to this would have been to use multiples of the same figure.

After gluing the guard into place with the glue-gun and taking care not to stick it as well, I removed the paper. Finally I took a deep breath and rested the shade on top of the base. It worked! Now it can be used for sweets, fairy lights or candles.

4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer

• Kathy from KY
    Kathy from KY

I would fill the bowl with NUTS! LOL!

• Thea
      Thea

Yes! But those guys couldn’t even crack sesame seeds.😂

• Marnidarr
    Marnidarr

Very cute idea! I know you mentioned that it would've looked better with a round base, but I also think it would look really cool with no base at all!