Asked on Dec 12, 2019

How can you cover a ceiling light without using the metal sheet?

Agnes ChrzanowskaJaniceJessica VanderVeen
+8

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I want to help - I don't understand the question though. You want to add a light, but not on the metal?

• Lifestyles Homes

If you have a bare lightbulb hanging down, on a porcelain socket, then you can buy a clip-on light shade for about $7 at HD or Menards.

I drilled a hole in mine for the pull chain.

• Robyn Garner

I also do not understand the question or the pics. Please explain.

Are you saying there is a fixture behind the metal? You could remove the metal and hang a tapestry or canvas drop cloth over that area.

• Emily

I agree with not understanding the pictures in order to answer the question.

• Deb K

Hi Cora, if you are looking to remove the metal , you can tack a light cloth like linen over the spot to soften the look. Or another type of fairly transparent material will do the trick

• Sharon

Hard to see what the metal cover is over and how its held onto the ceiling..... but I've purchased sheets of textured plastic at True Value, and was able to cut it to fit the fixture by putting/sliding into the grooves of the fixture.

I don't know how the funky found object dream catcher fits into the whole picture. Is it part of the same project?

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

So are you talking about covering over a ceiling light fixture and you don't want to utilize it any more? If that's what you're looking to do you need to make sure that the ends of the wiring is secured with wire nuts and I'd go the extra step to wrap them with electrical tape.

• Cynthia H

Is it actually metal, or an acrylic type sheet that looks like metal? I ask because it looks like the light is shining through.

• Jessica VanderVeen

You can maybe buy a replacement cover

• Janice

Are you wanting to no longer have the ceiling light? We're not quite understanding what it is you want to accomplish? Can you provide more information please?

• Agnes Chrzanowska

Can you provide more info?