Asked on Dec 12, 2019

How can I keep lizards off of my vegetables?

Lauren of Mom Home GuideCarrie @ Curly Crafty MomSharon
+6

The lizards are eating the flowers off my tomatoes and peppers, what can I do to keep them away. I do not want to use poison because the produce is edible.

• Andrea Braden

Google your question.

• I would put up some sort of mesh fence around the garden, or you could try hot pepper spray around your garden. Here's a link with more information:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/animals/managing-lizard-populations.htm

• Andrea Braden

Lizards hate the smell of egg shells. Spread your eggs shells in your garden. Eggs shells are good for the garden anyway. They also hate the smell of the essential oils of euycalyptus and peppermint, mix the the two together in a mixture of water and spray your garden. Lizards dispise coffee powder too. You can crush unused fresh coffee grounds into a powder or use instant coffee granules and crush them in a baggie and spread over your garden. Lizards hate vinegar and lemon oil, mix the two together with water and spray on your garden. I think the coffee powder and eggs shells would be a good combination to start with. Euycalyptus and peppermint essential oils mixed with water would be my next choice. Lizards dispise all of those things. Good luck let me know how those work for you. My email is nanascollectables@hotmail.com

• Lifestyles Homes

You might try cayenne pepper.

• Or what I do is feed the lizards. We have had a couple years of more than average rainfall and my lizard population has exploded. Obviously they are looking for food. I give them strawberries, blueberries, bananas or just about any fruit. Pick up at night so you don't invite mice, rats and cockroaches. They do not care for onions, so around some things you can plant any type of onion or shallot. Check companion planting. I use green / spring onions all over the place. Just love all the little lizards yet understand you want to grow produce and if they eat the blossoms, you won't get any fruit!

• Redcatcec

Companion gardening is a natural way to repel pests of all kinds. Go to Google and look it up. All kinds of onions repel lizards, which is of course companion gardening.

• Sharon

You could also make some hoops of flexible PVC pipe and cover with screening material to make a tunnel to put over your plant bed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCoKPhr2r90

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Some gardeners use a hot sauce spray around the perimeters of places they'd like to keep lizards from penetrating, such as houses or low-growing stands of plants, like strawberries. If you want to try this home remedy, remember to reapply frequently, since it will break down fast in the environment.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

If you have a car or dog, I’d let your pet hang out more in the yard to deter them. I also found this advice online: ”Use spray bottle mixed with vinegar, lemon, and finely ground cayenne pepper. Spray area 1 time a day for 1 week, then 1 time a week inside and outside house. If any lizardis left behind, place plastic cup over lizard and then gently slide stiff paper under cup.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thriftyfun.com/tf/749/19577-amp.html