Asked on Dec 13, 2019

How do I remove deep stains from a granite countertop?

Emy Flint | Semigloss DesignDeeWilliam
+7

• Robin Davis

White vinegar

• Terri

I used to sell granite. It's super super hard to stain. To me it doesn't look like this granite is stained. Seriously is has so many color variations I'm not sure what you are referring too. No staining as far as I can tell. All that color differention is the stones natural coloring. When the Stine is buffed to shine that prevents staining.

• Terri

Don't use white vinegar it can watch the stone

Marble, granite, and stone do NOT like having acidic (ie: citrus-based) cleaners used on them. Citrus or vinegar will actually cause “etching” on granite countertops. Not a good thing. Granite countertops also don’t like it when you use something like Windex on them because it strips the “seal” off of the stone.

If you are trying to remove an old stain, create a dense paste of more baking soda and less water. Then place the paste over the stain, allowing it to function for a few minutes. After that wipe off the baking soda paste. If it is needed you can repeat the procedure until the stain vanishes.

Apparently there are some very nice countertop/granite cleaners out there that do a great job…but $7.00 for a 12-ounce bottle? YOU can do better than that! :-)

After researching several homemade options out there…I discovered they all had the same basic ingredients…just in varying amounts. Some had a LOT of alcohol in them…some very little. I think the following “recipe” has a good balance of the ingredients, based on the information I read.

Homemade Granite Cleaner, 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol (or cheap vodka), 3 drops of Dawn or other dish soap (Castile soap would also be a good alternative if you prefer), Water, 5-10 drops essential oil (optional – to help mask the alcohol smell).

Put the rubbing alcohol or vodka into a 16 oz spray bottle. Add the dish soap, essential oil and fill up the rest of the bottle with water.

Now give it a few shakes….THEN give it a try! It should give your countertops a nice, clean shine. Works on appliances too! All at a FRACTION of the price of the store-bought stuff.

Treat with Acetone ..... If you notice that the granite countertop near your stove or sink has begun to dull, it may be grease, oil, soap scum or other thicker residue that is marring the surface. Rinsing the area with water and an ordinary household detergent may not be enough to break down and remove the film. Instead, use a soft cloth to apply acetone to the dull areas. Because acetone works as a solvent, it is extremely effective in dissolving thick, greasy stains. After scrubbing the countertop with the acetone, rinse with warm water.

Reseal ..... Your granite countertop may begin to dull if its sealer coat becomes etched. If the surface of the stone beneath is still in good condition, however, you usually can repair the countertop by resealing the granite. Be sure to use a sealer product that is recommended by your counter's manufacturer or installer, and thoroughly clean the surface before applying the sealer. You can use a rag or a spray bottle to apply it, but work slowly to ensure that you cover the granite in an even coat. After the sealer had dried completely, you can apply as many as three additional coats to provide the most effective protection for your countertop. You can also prevent fading before it happens by resealing your counter each year to renew the protective coating.

• Dee

Never use vinegar or citric acid on granite. I use a Homemade Granite Cleaner, 1/4cup of rubbing alcohol a teaspoon of Dawn , 5-10 drops of any kind of essential oil for fragrance. Then fill rest of spray bottle with water, shake well. Use this as a daily cleaner.

• Baking soda and water. Make a paste, let it sit for several hours. Then rinse off. You also need to reseal the stone. It should be resealed every 6 months to a year.