Asked on Dec 13, 2019

How do you deter ants?

Simple Nature DecorThrifted NestDebbie/Dragonfly Treasure
+8

• Kathy Gunter Law

Diatomaceous earth sprinkled around will take care of them. It's still effective if it gets wet, just let it dry.

• Vimarhonor

Hello I use ant traps by terro.

If you look over at the reviews and QA on Amazon and see how highly rated the traps are.

I have been using them both indoors and outdoors - and been very successful in my overall situation. Additionally- I sometimes do an exterior Home defense foundation perimeter type product as well for spiders. Hope this helps.

Hi Lori: This is what I used for my ant problem, it may work for you, too.

Make a mix of 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 powdered sugar. Mix well and put around the spots they are in your garden, or inside your home, it's harmless to people and pets. For outside use, you can put it in a bottle, like a pill bottle or something like that. Cut a hole on the edge of the cap, and lay the bottle on it's side so the ants can come in and get the mix. This way, it stays dry if it should rain. They will take it back to the nest and it should kill them. I'd keep it out there all season if you can. The mix makes a gas and the ants can't pass gas, so it kills them. Anything else that eats it will just taste the baking soda and say "Yuck" and walk off. It won't hurt anything that can pass gas, so it's completely safe. It helps to know what type of ant you are trying to get rid of, too. Try this site, scrolling down to see the different types of ants and how to deal with them. https://www.thespruce.com/ant-control-4127879

Good luck.

• Redcatcec

Have had luck with Terro, available in diy and other stores like Walmart, follow the on package directions. It even works well on a parade of them across the patio or deck. It will take a couple of days and then they are history.

Another way to divert them is Jiffy Corn muffin mix, raw from the package, sprinkle it around where they are entering the house (the outside) and they take that back to the colony. It will not kill the queens though.

• Hi Lori - Those little buggers are relentless, aren't they?!? This is the most effective method and all-natural spray DIY that we use with ants. It's best indoors, but will also work outside with more frequent applications. It's even been featured on Hometalk! Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/ant-spray/

PS - We have a FREE eBook with recipes for all of my homemade and all-natural cleaners. You can download it here --> https://pinkfortitude.com/thank#GreenClean

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

I use packaged cornbread mix that says it is sweetened and put it where they are. They will take it to the mound, everyone will eat it and die, they can't digest the cornmeal, but will take it because it is sweetened. Little goes a long way.

I read this from : Itsmemic

Medicated powder from the Dollar Tree. It has eucalyptus in it...menthol...I puff it around my homes foundation..and inside under my birdcages in the cracks under moldings. Work immediately and they never come back. I do this at the first sign of ants..in one day..GONE. The powder is in a very large container and lasts quite awhile too !! And smells great !

Not toxic to my birds OR dog

• Simple Nature Decor

Make sure you keep everything food free from counter tops or floor. If you are asking about ants outside in yard that a different answer

• Thrifted Nest

Add little diy traps with borax around your home.

• Simple Nature Decor

I use a plate with honey on it and they get stuck, its an old remedy of my mom's