DIY Thrift Store Decor, Easy as 1-2-3!

$5

If you're a thrift store shopper like me (I love the thrill of the hunt!) then you've more than likely spotted a metal pot similar to this one. My mom actually found this one at a local thrift store and passed it on to me for a makeover.

It turns out it is the perfect size for me to display floral arrangements in my booth space. Alternatively it would work just as well for a dining table display. But first I needed to give the exterior a makeover.

The project is very easy and can be customized to a variety of styles. I used affordable  acrylic paints (affiliate links) for the majority of the project. First I applied a dab of brown acrylic paint onto a paper plate and then applied it as a base coat with a chip brush. I wasn't too concerned about getting full coverage as I will be adding other coats and only wanted hints of the bottom layers to show through.

Next I repeated the process but this time with black acrylic paint. The photo above shows just how little paint is required for a project this size, but I did end up using a second dab of black paint to get the coverage I wanted. I applied the black randomly over the brown paint.

I was almost out of white acrylic paint, so for the third and final coat I used Jolie matte finish paint that I had left over from another project. But acrylic paint would work just fine, too. I used a larger brush and applied the final color a little heavier than the other coats.

Since I planned to use the container to display flowers, I decided to add a quick  stencil to the front of the container.

This stencil set is laser cut and has a low-tack adhesive on the back so it stays in place while applying the paint. I sealed the paint with clear wax, but an acrylic sealer would work just as well.

Here is the finished project including the floral display.

I was tempted to keep this at home for myself. But since the project was so easy, I am on the lookout for another container to re-do for myself.

I hope you enjoyed today's project! I'd like to invite you to visit my blog, The Black Sheep Shoppe, and see what other projects I have in the works. P.S. The materials I used for this project were all ones that I had on hand leftover from other projects, so it probably only cost me pennies to complete. Your total cost will vary depending on what you have on hand.

Patricia

• Donna Turner

Are those silk tulips? I’ve looked everywhere for nice ones like these but can’t find them. Please tell me where you got them?