DIY Thrift Store Decor, Easy as 1-2-3!

$5

If you're a thrift store shopper like me (I love the thrill of the hunt!) then you've more than likely spotted a metal pot similar to this one. My mom actually found this one at a local thrift store and passed it on to me for a makeover.

It turns out it is the perfect size for me to display floral arrangements in my booth space. Alternatively it would work just as well for a dining table display. But first I needed to give the exterior a makeover.

The project is very easy and can be customized to a variety of styles. I used affordable  acrylic paints (affiliate links) for the majority of the project. First I applied a dab of brown acrylic paint onto a paper plate and then applied it as a base coat with a chip brush. I wasn't too concerned about getting full coverage as I will be adding other coats and only wanted hints of the bottom layers to show through.

Next I repeated the process but this time with black acrylic paint. The photo above shows just how little paint is required for a project this size, but I did end up using a second dab of black paint to get the coverage I wanted. I applied the black randomly over the brown paint.

I was almost out of white acrylic paint, so for the third and final coat I used Jolie matte finish paint that I had left over from another project. But acrylic paint would work just fine, too. I used a larger brush and applied the final color a little heavier than the other coats.

Since I planned to use the container to display flowers, I decided to add a quick  stencil to the front of the container.

This stencil set is laser cut and has a low-tack adhesive on the back so it stays in place while applying the paint. I sealed the paint with clear wax, but an acrylic sealer would work just as well.

Here is the finished project including the floral display.

I was tempted to keep this at home for myself. But since the project was so easy, I am on the lookout for another container to re-do for myself.

I hope you enjoyed today's project! I'd like to invite you to visit my blog, The Black Sheep Shoppe, and see what other projects I have in the works. P.S. The materials I used for this project were all ones that I had on hand leftover from other projects, so it probably only cost me pennies to complete. Your total cost will vary depending on what you have on hand.

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Patricia

• Donna Turner
    Donna Turner

Are those silk tulips? I’ve looked everywhere for nice ones like these but can’t find them. Please tell me where you got them?