Vintage Toolbox Planter Decor From the Target Dollar Spot

$7

I am convinced that buying anything on a strict budget requires more creativity and “thriftiness” (I just made that word up!). This is more self satisfying anyway than being able to buy whatever looks good. Have you guys noticed that Antique shops aren’t that cheap anymore? Sometimes the best places to find a bargain are in every day shops like Target. Don’t ever discredit the Target dollar spot, where you can find great decor items like this craft box I turned into VINTAGE TOOLBOX PLANTER. You won’t believe what I paid for it.

I looked around at a few home thrift shops and antique stores and Whew, they were a little pricey (maybe I’m cheap). Like I said before, the Target dollar spot should never be discredited; especially when they carry items like this for only $5!

Here she is before paint, very dull and boring. The trick to creating any craft or project is being able to see the potential, even when you don’t think you can see anything. This little project only took two steps. I had all the supplies on hand, which was great.

First step:

• Paint the craft box white. Looking back on this project, this step was not necessary. At the time, I felt like I wanted to lighten up the “yellow” color a bit, but I think it would still look fine even if I didn’t paint it white.

Next step:

• Distress with a little dark wax. I used the Annie Sloan dark wax, but any dark wax would work. I used a lint free cloth and applied the wax with a very thin layer all over the “antique toolbox.” 
  • A tip when using dark wax to anything; a little bit goes a long way (i’ve learned the hard way). You can see many more projects where I lightly "distressed" or white washed a piece of furniture or decor.

Next step is to add a little greenery or flowers inside of the toolbox to make it look like a planter.

Here she is in all her glory! This is such a simple project that can create a beautiful centerpiece! I have so many other ideas and simple CRAFTS HERE if you are interested.

Happy Crafting friends!

• Craft box  (Target)
  • Dark Wax  (hardware Store)
  • Paint  (hardware store)

Lindsey

• Karin

Hi, looks great! So no sealant or clear coat is needed? Thanks

• Kelley Wass Westhaver

OMG I passed this up at my Target!! Hopefully they still have them!!! Absolutely love it!!!

• Marta rosengren

I was thinking of planting herbs in it. I suppose I would need to line it with plastic and drill a hole in the bottom.