DIY Midcentury Plant Stand

$15
1 Day

Anyone else around here hate seeing scrap wood go to waste? If you have a lot of scrap wood hanging around your house—especially if it's plywood—and you're a plant lover, this is the perfect project. If you don't have scrap wood, I'll also share a few ideas for doing this project! It is quick and easy with a high impact.

https://www.bybrittanygoldwyn.com/diy-midcentury-plant-stand/

There's something about plant stands that just make plants look better. It makes large plants look even larger, and it gets them up off the floor, protecting the floor from potential leaks. I decided to make a simple plant stand for my large fiddle leaf fig bug using scrap plywood. I cut two pieces from the scrap above so that when I put them next to one another, they formed a square.

Then I used pocket holes and wood glue to join them together to make one piece. For further support, I drilled a long strip of plywood perpendicular to the seam between the two pieces of wood. Then I simply screwed on four 6" hairpin legs!

To finish off the stand, I gave the wooden parts several coats of my favorite finish—Varathane's water-based polyurethane in matte. It is such a durable natural-looking finish. Highly recommend!

I set my large plant on it and realized there was room for a few friends, too :) What do you think?

If you don't have scrap wood, you can just cut a square of plywood out. Or, better yet, see if you can find a pre-cut 12x12 square. Do those exist?!

To read more about this project and see more pictures of my townhouse jungle, click the link to the original post next to my picture below! You also might like my detailed post about how to paint cheap terracotta pots, as well as my post about the best plants to propagate!

By Brittany Goldwyn

• Elaine Goodner

You could use casters and move plants around the house as you want

• Scarlette Sarah Elkins

I love anything plants !! I would love to see more of your ideas !! My husband made something like this for my corn tree ! But it has caster wheels so I can move it around !! Great idea !! I love it