Asked on Dec 13, 2019

How do I remove extremely old wall paper?

Agnes ChrzanowskaKmdreamerLinda (burlap+blue)
+6

• The best way is to rent a steamer. It's a lot of work, but the steamer is a huge help.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Peel as much as possible from the walls.

If you can't get to the backing, you may need to score the paper with a tool. Paper Tiger is easy to find. Light pressure because you don't want to damage the wall behind the paper.

Mix 50/50 fabric softener & warm water in a spray bottle or garden sprayer. I've read that vinegar is as effective but I have never used it.

Allow the mixture to sit for 5 - 10 minutes so that it saturates the adhesive on the paper backing.

Scrape with a plastic scraper.

Once it is all removed, wash the walls with warm soapy water (blue Dawn is my go-to) and a microfiber cloth.

• Fiddledd224

1. Score with a wallpaper scoring tool

2. Mix one cup of Downey fabric softener with 1 gallon warm water

3. Apply liberally with a wet sponge

4. Let sit 10 minutes

5. Peel paper off

• Chloe Crabtree

Score the wallpaper. After scoring, use a steamer - you can rent one from a paint and wallpaper store or even try a clothes steamer and work one section a little bit at a time. The steam will penetrate the holes and loosen the paper.

I use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and hot water. Apply it on the wallpaper with a sponge. Wet it well. Let it sit for a while and scrape the wallpaper off with a putty knife. Fabric softener and hot water also works but vinegar is cheaper. Use the same mixture to wash off any glue residue. If it does not scrape off being very old the walls may not have been primed or sized. Then the only solution is to paint over it and that is the only time recommend painting wallpaper.

• Kmdreamer

Hot water scrap the paper so the water gets u dear it hot water in a spray bottle keep spraying then scrap of with putty knife