How To Make Toy Soldiers Out Of Closet Doors

$65

If you're looking for a project that will make an impact, these closet door toy soldiers turn out absolutely stunning. Your supply list is minimal and the most time consuming portion is waiting for paint to dry. Let's dive into the instruction so you can get started on toy soldiers of your own.

Step One: If needed spray paint the whole door white. (I didn't need to do this because they were already white)

Next: Tape off the boots at the bottom and spray paint black (tape paper down so the black doesn't get on the rest of the door)

Step 3: Tape off the gold pants and spray them (tape paper down each time you spray paint).

Then you will tape off the belt and spray paint that area gold.

While you are working with the gold spray paint, spray paint gold on the fleur-de-lis or small wooden medallion you will use later to embellish the soldiers hat.

Step 6: Cut the wooden dowels for the soldiers arms and spray paint white.

Next tape the top and the bottom of the dowels and spray paint gold

Cut 2 1" x 1" wood pieces (or 4 if you are making two toy soldiers) and spray paint it gold. These will be the shoulders.

Now it's time to start working on face details of your toy soldiers. You will need to spray paint flat rounds white that will be the soldiers eyes.

Paint a blue circle on the bottom of the eye and then a black circle over the blue to give the eyes more details.

Cut out black felt in the shape of a mustache and eyebrows (I printed a mustache online and used it as a template).

Now tape off where the face goes and paint it skin-colored.

Then paint the wood round balls skin-colored that will be the hands of the soldiers.

Step 14: Cut a popsicle in half and paint it skin-colored too.

Now hot glue the eyebrows to the eyes and then the eyes to the face.

Then you will glue the nose at the bottom of the eyes in between the eyes.

Hot glue the mustache under the nose and only a little above the bottom of the face.

Next hot glue the fleur-de-lis to the center top of his hat.

Measure and cut the gold chains and then measure and place the buttons and hot glue the buttons and the chains to his jacket.

Now you will wood glue his hands to the wooden dowels and let dry 30 minutes.

Nail the 1" x 1" blocks to the other end of the dowels and then nail the block and arm to the side of the closet. Place the wood block below his face.

Time to work on the toy soldiers boots by taping between his legs and books on the paints and black shoes and paint a thin line all the way down.

Then measure and paint the laces to his boots.

Add shoelace holes by using a pencil eraser and white paint to embellish where the laces sit.

Use a small bowl or something round and sit half of it at the bottom of the boots and draw around it with a white paint pen.

Now you should have a great finished product! These toy soldiers are great holiday decor.

If you'd like to see more of the Christmas decor in my home, hop over to my .

15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Linda

• Jacquienina

What is that spray device on your cans?

• Gina

its a trigger nozzle that attaches to spray cans so you don’t have to use one finger to hold down the small nozzle. They are sold near paint spray cans.

• Judy

I am very confused. Step 1 is to paint the door white. Okay, got that one. Next tape off boots and paint black. What boots? Now, paint gold pants. What pants?

I did read through the entire post and saw the pictures at the end. Very creative and I love it but, I need more details. Dimensions for boots, pants and such. Thanks for sharing.

• Danielle Berry-Massey

I have all the same questions, Judy. I feel like HomeTalk needs to include more detailed instructions in their posts in general.

• Sandra

love these! My daughter are big nutcracker collectors and use them for holiday decorating. We can make a very small addition and turn these into them.

• Thea

These are very beautiful. The colours are very on trend.