Asked on Dec 14, 2019

How do I remove varnish and paint from my laminate floors?

HomeroadHolly Lengner - Lost MomWilliam
+7

How can I remove the paint from laminate floors ? I’m unhappy with the One dimensional look. Can I remove the varnish and paint with stripper ?

• I'm not sure stripper is a good idea for laminate, since it is made up of layers. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they advise.

• Flipturn

Did you apply additional paint and/or varnish to your laminate floors, or are you referring to removing the finish that was put on the laminate when manufactured?

• Kelly

i of course did the whole tutorial , primer , paint and varnish.....no half measures for me

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

Hi, Kelly!

Applying a stripper to laminate may not be a good idea. Laminate is generally made of layers of pressed paper (MDF) and it may do irreparable damage to the floor. In this case, a professional may need to give advice. I hope this helps!

Use a paste stripper like Citristrip. It's made to remove many layers of paint and varnish. Should not affect the laminate finish since it is a factory bonded finish. Also should not affect the laminate planks. Do not use a liquid stripper as it may soak into the laminations and cause the to swell. Try a small area first. Use a plastic putty knife to remove the softened paint/varnish. Once stripped wipe down with a cloth and vinegar to neutralize the stripper.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I painted my laminate floors this past summer with some trial and error, but love how it turned out in the end. You can see it here:

https://www.lostmom.org/my-painted-bathroom-floor/

• Kelly

hi, I also did my bedroom which I love and the tiles in my kitchen and bathroom. I’m just not feeling it in my living room. I only have half the floor finished ( maybe it’s just the thought of having to repeat process )

• Homeroad

If the surface is smooth you can paint right over the whole thing using a chalk based paint. A few coats then a sealer made for floors would change the old look. If you are creative you can use stencils to create a pattern on the floor and then seal it.