Update Your Ceiling Fan With Contact Paper From the Dollar Tree for $1

$1
1 Day

I really didn’t like the dark brown fan blades, but; I liked the fan with the lights and didn’t want to spend the money replacing it. I can do a lot of things but replacing a fan is not one of them. I’m not an electrician. So, instead of having the fan replace I decided to do something creative on the fan blades to blend in with the rest of my home décor.

I bought this contact paper at the Dollar Tree. Yup, you quested it $1.00. They don’t always have decorative contact paper on hand, so you have to buy it when you see it.

You can also go to Amazon to find some really nice contact paper if you don’t have a Dollar Tree close by or if you want a bigger variety.

The first thing I did was spray one side with primer so that the paint would stick well. Once that dried, I sprayed it with a white semi-gloss paint.

The reason I did this was that the trim on the blade needed to be white or it would show the brown when I put the contact paper on.

Also, by doing this I now have reversible fan blades. One side will be white and the other side will have the contact paper on it. When I get tired of the print, I can always flip the blade over.

Once the paint is dry, lay the fan blade on the contact paper and trace it with a pen. Then take cut it out with your scissors.

Then simply lay the contact paper on the fan blade and smooth it out so that there are no bubbles. If there is any overlap, just use your scissor to trim it off.

Lastly, use your screws to pop a hole in the contact paper so you can screw it back on the base.

And there you have it. A custom ceiling fan! Wasn't that a super-easy way to update your ceiling fan?

Doing little DIY projects like this around your house creates your own unique decorating style and saves you from having to buy a new fan and paying someone to install it.

If you’re like to DIY and create fun projects, sign up for my weekly blog I share fun budget-friendly decorating ideas, you can learn to do yourself.

You can also join my free Facebook group, Ask Cheryl Phan where you can ask me questions and be part of a community of other creative women just like you. Hope to see you there.

Blessings,

Cheryl

Cheryl Phan

• Jam

I rent. Do U think if I just put contact paper over my blades. Come time 4 me 2 move & remove. Will it damage the finish on the blades? Jam

• Pollyann Yates

Yes, clean them really well to get all the grime off. When you are ready to move if need be, pull the contact paper off. All is good and no damage.

• Shirley

Didn’t u still have to take the fan down from the ceiling??? I’m not an electrician either and couldn’t take the fan down from the ceiling myself!

• The Handy Handyman

You don't have to take the ceiling fan down, just remove the blades & mounting bracket from the center hub. Just two screws per bracket. Then remove the bracket from each blade to begin the customization process! Alternately you can remove the blades from the brackets leaving the brackets attached to the ceiling fans. Three screws, or little bolts &nuts, per blade. Hope this helps you!

• Rowdy’s Mom

How do I remove dog urine stains on my hardwood floor?

• Lisa House

Love it!

• Maude LaFountain

Just what I’ve been thinking about doing to the fans in my home !! But on the plus side I won’t have to paint because they are already white !! Just give them a good cleaning then slap that contact paper on and be done with it !! I have 6 fans in my home so it might take a while to get them all done !!