Homemade Gift Giving From Scraps

$5
1 Day

Every year we have a homemade gift giving party instead of the traditional gift exchange we all have to make our gifts. We call it “the reason for the season party”! I enjoy seeing what everyone makes and All gifts are put in the center of the room and we open them or steal from someone else.

Old ornate frames

I had purchased four of these frames at a yard sale for a dollar over the summer with visions of doing some art out of them.

Scrap wood panels

I had also purchased this shiplap scraps at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. So I went to work I knew I needed to update the frames first.

Painted two tone

Rather than just painting them a plain black I decided to give it a little different look.

Adding bronze

Once I spray painted black I went back over randomly with metallic bronze. It gives it a nice two tone look.

Cutting to size

I measured the insides of the frame and cut the boards to length to fit inside framed area.

Adding stain

I lightly sanded with a sanding block and then used multiple colored stains to create my back ground.

Inserting back boards

Since they were Tongue And groove I simply glued them together and laid in place and glued into frame with wood glue.

Taped in place

I taped the back and left it over night before deciding what to do next.

Adding arrow

The next day I had to decide what to put in the center. I had the arrow I had purchased second hand. Since our party is coed I needed to also consider that a man might want my gift so I decided to use arrow.

Cut arrow

I decided to paint arrow red to make it pop. I measured and cut arrow at an angle so that it would connect once hung. I added hanging brackets in the back and “tada”here is my homemade gift for exchange. I hope you enjoy and be sure to let me know your comments and thoughts. A simple easy gift that will be around for years to come! Thank you

Angle cut

The end

• Donna

I’m not gifting, I’m keeping the first set. 😂

Just a little, more clearing of space, in my work area. I need more, art on my stairway walls.

• Sandra

Are the wood scraps stained with clear stain to bring out the beautiful color and grain?

• Ruth

Hi Sandra, no clear coat was needed after I used a mahogany, grey, natural oak, and white stains. I did not need to protect wood so I didn’t use any. Thank you

• Rosemary

I love this look. Any ideas that might go in the center other than the arrow?

• Ruth

I had some other wood cut outs like a deer and a cross but I didn’t have two for each frame.