Asked on Dec 16, 2019

How can I remove a single layer of interior wall paint?

SharonWilliamEmily
+5

I painted over a beautifully painted wall finish and now want to remove that single layer of paint without damaging the paint work underneath, can it be done and if it can how do I do it?

• Mogie
    Mogie

Your local paint store folks might have some helpful tips or they might can refer you to someone with helpful info.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Anthea, it depends on what kind of paint you used to paint over the original. I would contact a specialist in your area.

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

It is likely that you will not be able to remove that layer of paint. I know that is not what you want to hear. I am sorry.

• Gk
    Gk

I highly doubt you are going to be able to remove that single layer of paint without damaging the wall finish underneath Anthea.

• Em
    Em

No likely. You have no way to control how much gets sanded off and the paint underneath will be thick and thin in areas and will come off at different levels. Sand then repaint.

• Emily
    Emily

Do you know the kind of paint used for the decorative finish? How long has it been there? If that is oil paint you may have a chance, Spray the water based paint in an corner, with water and try rubbing that section to see if any of the top paint comes off.

William

Nope. No way just to remove one layer without diturbing the rest. Sorry.

• Sharon
    Sharon

Nope, as a faux painter..... only way to remove is strip and that will damage all coats.