How to Avoid Trapping Bubbles in Epoxy Resin

In almost all of my craft projects, epoxy resin is a vital tool for ensuring a high-quality finish. Professional artists and manufacturers pour epoxy resin over their finished products to give them a secure, glossy, and expert-grade final look. One problem I run into a lot during all of my epoxy projects is the persistence of so-called 'epoxy bubbles'. Any air that gets trapped in your resin after it has dried can often ruin the appearance and quality of your finished work. Yuck! However, I've learned that there is a simple solution to avoiding this. I've written a handy guide to help you get bubbles out of epoxy resin in just a few seconds flat.

Getting Bubbles Out of Epoxy Resign: Tools & Materials 

Before we cover how to get rid of bubbles in Epoxy, it is important that you have the right tools and materials at the ready. For my project, I only needed a few things to ensure my artwork had a flawless, bubble-free finish. Here's what you will need: 

• An Artist's Torch. This is the most important item, as it is what you will use to get rid of the bubbles. You can use a handheld butane torch or a larger, more industrial torch if that is what you have access to. Only a flame torch will be able to do the job properly. 
  • A bottle of standard Epoxy Art Resin and Hardener. This resin and hardener combo will be mixed together before applying. You can usually buy both together from any hardware store - they almost always come in a double pack.
  • A sealant for the type of material you are working on. So, if you're trying to get rid of epoxy bubbles on a painted piece of wood, you'll need a wood sealer. Or if you're creating art on an inkjet print, you'll need to use the right acrylic sealer.
  • A small plastic stirrer. This will come in handy when you are preparing your resin mixture.
  • A plastic or card scraper. This may not be used at all but will be handy if you end up over-pouring with the resin (more on that later).

How to Get Rid of Epoxy Bubbles in Steps 

Step 1: Gather Your Tools & Materials 

Getting rid of Epoxy bubbles is such a short, swift process - that's great, but it's also that's why I recommend gathering all of your tools and materials before you start. Make sure to place the piece you are working on atop a covered surface so that you don't end up spilling resin on the furniture. Make sure your butane torch is fuelled up and ready to go and that your sealer and resin mixture are within easy reach.

Step 2: Seal Your Project 

Before applying the epoxy resin, make sure your project is sealed so that no air can escape. That could cause additional bubbles. Simply use a paintbrush to apply a thin layer of sealer over the surface of the dried paint. Leave until it has dried, and you're good to go. My project was an Inkjet print, so I used a standard acrylic sealer from the hardware store.

Step 3: Make Sure Your Resin is at Least at Room Temperature

This step is super important. If your resin is too cold, then you will have trouble getting the bubbles out or ensuring that it will mix properly. For this, you can simply place your resin and hardener in a warm water bath. After a few minutes, the liquids should be at the optimum temperature. 

Step 4: Stir Your Resin Mixture 

Once you have warmed up your resin and hardener, pour them into a cup and mix with your plastic stirrer. You've got to do this very slowly as mixing too quickly can create more bubbles in the mixture.

Step 5: Pour Your Resin

Now it's time to pour the resin mixture on top of the surface you're working on. I made sure to pour slowly and very closely to the surface. If you pour from a height, you'll get an uneven distribution of resin and chances are you'll create extra epoxy bubbles. Your resin layer shouldn't be thicker than about one-eighth of an inch. If it looks too thick, don't worry! Just use your scraping tool to remove any excess resin.

Step 6: Use a Torch to Get Rid of Bubbles

Now is the part where you get bubbles out of epoxy resin. I used my butane Artist's Torch, running the heat from the flame slowly over the surface of my painting. The heat allows the bubbles to escape without damaging the integrity of the paint. Make sure to keep the flame moving and don't hold it too close to the surface, as this may cause the flame to break through the layer of resin.

These simple steps should get you the smooth and flawless finish you're looking for! And now you know how to get bubbles out of epoxy resin, you can share this invaluable artist tips with your friends. Make sure to suggest this tutorial to a friend for their next project.

3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas

• Leslie

What types of acrylic sealers have you used?

• Marcy Scott

I’ve been wanting to do a small end-table with inlaid pennies. Still collecting my pennies, bought a $10 table on Market Place and my paint. So glad to have come across your tips.

My question...after gluing down the pennies, should I pour a thin layer onto the table, work out the bubbles and let dry before pouring another layer of epoxy?

• Jeanne

I have a plan wood try that I painted white. I would like to put dried pressed wildflowers on it and cover with resin will the flowers give me a lot of bubbles and do I just keep pouring thin layers until it's covered? Thanks for the tutorial

• Celeste

Thank you. Looking forward to trying this for the first time.

• Alice haynes

My table was perfect no bubbles. After about three weeks in the sun the entire table bubbles up into cloudy dots