Asked on Dec 16, 2019

How can I clean cloudy car headlights?

BetsyWilliamDebbie/Dragonfly Treasure
+6

I would like to know what I can use at home to get rid of the cloudy headlights?

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

My dad swears by simple toothpaste!

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

If the headlights are only slightly foggy, you can try and restore them using an abrasive, like toothpaste, and lots of scrubbing. First, clean the headlights with Windex or soap and water. Then, using a soft cloth, rub a fingertip amount of toothpaste onto the wet headlight. (Toothpaste with baking soda works best.)

• Em
    Em

Toothpaste will not last. They will be cloudy again in no time. It only gets the surface. You need to really get them with sand paper and polishing compound. Tape off the light with painters tape use 600 then 1500 then 3000 grit papers, use polishing compound to finish or in between uses of paper. This gets the deeper imbedded dirt in the plastic.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

White tooth paste and then buff off. If you have a drill, you can get a buffer for it. It works wonders.

• They make a spray for that and you can buy it at a auto supply store.

• Allison
    Allison

If they're really bad a rubbing compound will work. Light oxidation can be removed with a polishing compound. Both require elbow grease, but they also protect from oxidation. Wash and rinse first, so you don't scratch with debris.

William

I did my daughters car. Used a White (not gel) toothpaste and a damp cloth. A dab of toothpaste on the cloth and rub in a circular motion a small area at a time. Keep the toothpaste moist. A separate wet cloth squeezing water as you rub. Wipe as you go along to see the progress. Once done put some paste wax over the lenses. Last about six months to a year.

Betsy

Hi Sarah: 1) Here’s a tip for anyone out there who has those foggy headlights that look dull and dirty. I haven’t been able to find anything that cleans them better than this. Not for 5$, at least. Any bug spray will work so long as it has DEET. The more, the better.

2) What I used was a product called Motsenbockers® Lift Off® Latex Paint Remover - 4.5 oz. Just be sure the can says "safe for plastic". I put it on with one of those magic eraser sponges, rubbing lightly, let it sit for about 5 or 10 seconds and rub off. Then clean with water and use Rain-X, again being sure this says 'safe for plastic', too. If it's not, just use wax. You may have to do it a couple of times, but it has worked for me. Takes about 10 minutes for both headlights and is under $6, and you still have product left over.

3) I saw this on Instructibles, but don't know about it at all. Here is the site: How to Fix Cloudy Headlights

Good luck