Asked on Dec 16, 2019

Is there a way to repair a shrunken wool sweater?

SharonLifestyles HomesToni @ Girl, Just DIY!
+6

How to fix my wool sweater that's shrink after I wash it in the washing machine

• Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes

Evelyn....So sorry..guess it was by mistake...I did the same thing once and unfortunately I knew nothing to do and gave it away. Hope someone else can give you some help!

• Janice
    Janice

Hi Debbie, place it in a sink full of water and ensure it is well covered, squeeze as much of the water out of the sweater (DO NOT WRING). Place a large towel on a counter and use another sweater that fits you as a guide to begin stretching the shrunk sweater to the appropriate size. Keep working to stretch the sweater to the size needed and pin the sweater in a few areas to the towel until it air dries.

• Try your best!.
      Try your best!.

Wow!. I did not no this an have binned so meny fav jumpers because my hubbie shrunk them...very helpful indeed

Thank you :)

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Hi Evelyn,

It looks like the fibers in your wool sweater are changed to something resembling a tightened new texture, resulting in shrinkage. If you try the above suggestions to remedy this, you will probably have some luck, hopefully so.

When this happened to me I was so disappointed and ended up giving the beautiful shrunken sweater to my granddaughter, I could admire it that way.

Best to you.

• Try your best!.
      Try your best!.

I gave mine to my neice lol...never knew the about the above comment.I learn each day on hometalk :) merry christmas

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!
    Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

Sadly I don't think there is any fix for that since the actual fibers in the yarn strand retract.

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

As long as it did not get heat dried, yes re-wet and gently stretch and block it.

• Sharon
    Sharon

When you put a wool sweater in hotter water and agitate it, it felts which can't be reversed. Now if it didn't felt, then you can re-wet, and stretch it and let dry naturally in the tub.