DIY Repurposed Christmas Tree

$4

It's always fun to create projects by repurposing things, but at Christmas time it's even more fun because so many things can be made into trees.

For this repurposed Christmas tree I'm using the parts from a few folding metal steamers.

I buy these when I see them at thrift stores, and I usually pay 25 to 50 cents. I have been know to pay a dollar on occasion for the larger ones.

The parts come off quite easily. For my tree I'm using two different sizes, but one size would work fine too.

I started by hot gluing the larger steamer parts onto the bottom of a 12 inch styrofoam cone that I got at the dollar store for $2.

I added the second layer sort of overlapping the first one.

And I continued to make my way up the cone.

Now it's starting to look like a tree.

So I could add some steamer parts to hide the styrofoam top, I bent two pieces and glued them in place.

Then I added a few more steamer parts, and then I hot glued my tree topper above those.

My star is made out of some vintage light reflectors that I put together, and the center is a rhinestone earring. These are all from my thrifted stashes.

And here's my repurposed Christmas tree on my bedroom dresser. I added a Christmas pot holder under the tree as a sort of skirt. it ties in nicely with the star.

For more tips and pics check our my Funky Repurposed Christmas Tree project post here.

Color Me Thrifty

• Lee

How did you make the Vintage light reflectors?

• Color Me Thrifty

For the star I glued 3 different vintage light reflectors together and glued them onto the top of the tree. Then I glued the earring in the middle.

• Nancy Pena Brocker

I wonder if E6000 or Gorilla glue would work to bond? There are different strengths of Gorilla Glue... I only have a hot glue gun...

• Color Me Thrifty

I used my hot glue gun for this project Nancy. I use those glues you mention in projects sometimes, but not sure how you would go about holding the steamer pieces in place while the glue dries. The hot glue adheres pretty instantly.

• Marsha

Could you make this without the styrofoam? Like the expensive lighted ones I see.

• Color Me Thrifty

Hi Marsha. I don't know how you could because the steamer pieces need to be attached to something. Maybe you could try a cone made out of a different material.