Rae Dunn Style Tree Decorations
I had these clear baubles that I used to hang from a twig tree each year. This look didn’t work with my current decor so I decided to repurpose them by using Rae Dunn decorations as my inspiration!
These are the clear baubles that I had previously hung plain with ribbon.
I printed out some words with a Rae Dunn style font which I had made to the correct size to fit onto the baubles.
I cut out the words and placed on the inside of the bauble making sure that it was straight without any creases in the paper. I took a sharpie and traced over the words on the outside of the bauble.
I took some white acrylic paint and watered it down very slightly so that it would run. I squirted this inside and then pieced the two halves together.
Once reassembled, I then shook the bauble and made sure the paint ran everywhere to cover the surface. I did find in the morning, after leaving overnight, that there were some gaps so I had to reopen them and just run some more paint inside to cover this. If the acrylic paint is too runny it won’t stick to the surface.
The result is then a white bauble with the tracing of the word on the outside.
I then took a cocktail stick and dipped it in black acrylic paint to paint on the word over the sharpie tracing. I used the cocktail stick instead of a paintbrush as I didn’t have one thin enough to produce a neat enough finish.
Once I had painted on all the words I attached some twine to hang the baubles to the tree. I wasn’t sure if I liked them plain and also couldn’t decide if I wanted to hang them with twine or ribbon.
I decided to add a ribbon bow to them to finish. I tied the bows to a skewer as it didn’t work tying them straight onto the twine.
I then took the tied ribbons and put a drop of glue on the back to stick onto the bauble.
This is the finished look and the ribbons easily stuck with all purpose glue.
These were a little tricky to make in terms of getting the font to look neat. An easier way to make them would be to stick the words on with printouts from a cricut machine. Since I didn’t have one I had to make do with DIY painted font.
Finally, to display them I found this little tree on sale which I just displayed in a pot and covered with burlap to finish the look.
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info