Channel-Back Chair Upholstery DIY

$60

Last month a friend called to asked if I could do a chair upholstery for his two chairs I said yes, of course. I was excited to bring those vintage chairs back to life with new upholstery fabric, foam, webbing, cotton batting, burlap, and Dacron.

Chairs before

These chairs needed lots of work with one having a broken frame that needed repairing.

Carefully removing the old upholstery

Removing Old Upholstery Fabric

I like to wear gloves when removing the old upholstery fabric, staples and tacks.

New wood section

Wood Repair

The upper chair back frame was constructed with two pieces of curved wood that were joined in the center with a wooden support attached under the joint. The joint support on one of the chairs was broken. I cut a new support out of hardwood and attached it to the frame with glue and screws.

Using the old upholstery fabric as a pattern

Furniture Re-upholstery DIY

One of my simple upholstery techniques is to use the old chair fabric pieces as a template for the new fabric cuts. Before I continue I iron all the old chair pieces. Next, I determine the cut plan to conserve on fabric. If the fabric has a nap or a pattern repeat I analyze the cuts accordingly.

Upholstery Tips for Beginners:

• Pay attention to how the chair was assembled
  • Your old chair fabric might be stretched out of shape
  • Evenly pull the fabric to prevent puckers when stapling
  • Always use high quality upholstery thread
  • Center the pattern repeats starting on the seat or seat cushion and working you way up and down using the cushion as a reference point
  • You will need a commercial upholstery sewing machine
Marking the channels on burlap

To make the channel back sections I mark the stitch lines on burlap.

Burlap prepared for channel face fabric

Channel back section is now ready to sew. The face fabric pieces need to sewn on at the marked stitch lines which leaves an opening for the stuffing.

Channel Back section ready to stuff

Channel back section ready to stuff. After stuffing I will staple it to the frame and finish upholstering the chairs.

Back view of channel back chair

Learning how to staple fabric to the wood frame after creating the back channel back section is key to getting the perfect result along the back edge. This is not an easy upholstery technique to master with channel-backs.

Finished Channel-Back Upholstery

Learning to upholster has changed my life since I can easily update my own furniture and it has made the perfect side hustle too. Learn more about how to upholster HERE.

Upholstery Supplies and Tools Needed

• Upholstery scissors
  • Staple lifter
  • Tack hammer
  • Curved needle
  • Upholstery thread
  • Upholstery sewing machine
  • Welt cord
  • Staple gun (pneumatic)
  • Tack strip
  • Upholstery burlap
  • Webbing
  • Bonded Polyester batting
  • Upholstery fabric ( fabric information)
  • Zipper 5
  • Foam (4″ Medium density)
  • Cotton batting
  • Wood glue
  • Clamps
  • How to Upholster Video
  • Ruler
  • Quilting ruler
  • Marker (water soluble)
  • Pins (heavy glass head)
  • Cutting mat
  • Silk film plastic (used to stuff channels)
  • Upholstery regulator

Kippi | Kippi At Home

You did an exceptional job. Your right...it isn't easy to upholster channel backs. I also noticed the back frame you repaired looks like there was a dowel between the two curved pieces of wood. Did you put the two pieces together or just install the support.

• Flipturn

Thanks for posting the extensive list of requisite tools and materials needed to complete this project.

Which 4 items did you spend the $60 on?

• Joyce Hegedus

Beautiful! The fabric is matched perfectly which I know isn’t always easy to do.

• Arlene

These chairs are fabulous! Not to mention how beautiful they would look in front of my fireplace! Great job!!!

• Bowchic

You did a remarkable job! Not your first “rodeo”😉 Another side hustle would be to give lessons, you could definitely do it👍🏼

• Kippi | Kippi At Home

Thank you so much 😊 we do teach and we have an Upholstery 101 teaching video too.

Happy New Year😊

• Joyce

Wonderful job 💗