How to Upcycle Your Christmas Popcorns Tins Into Metal Planters

$15

We all know and love those Christmas popcorn tins full of cheddar, white, and caramel popcorn don't we!

Well, have you ever thought about saving the tins and upcycling them into planters after the season is over?

With a little paint and time, it's very easy to make faux galvanized tin planters from your popcorn tins.

Here are a few of my Christmas popcorn tins before their makeover. First, we enjoyed the popcorn, and ate way too much of it.

Then, we reused them as year-round decor in our home.

You can see all the supplies I used in my original post for this project on my blog, justalittlecreativity.com

To begin, wash and clean the tins on the inside and outside with dishsoap and water. This step is important to remove any oils that may be left over from storing the popcorn.

Next, use a good quality metal spray paint and give them a full, shiny coat of paint. I personally have had good results with both Krylon & Rustoleum brands.

Next, you'll be using regular craft paint in gray, black and white. This paint will be a more flat finish compared to the shiny metallic spray paint, and this is ok. It tends to add a look of age and texture this way.

You're going to use paint brush and pounce your craft paints all over the can, layering and layering and layering the colors until you're happy.

Keep in mind, this is just paint, and if you add too much of one color, or you're not pleased with how it looks, you can let it dry and paint over any mistakes. Don't stress!

One easy way to pull back too much paint and blend it better is with a wash cloth or other type of textured fabric.

When you're happy with the finish, find your favorite plant and add it to the tin!

I kept my plants in their plastic pots they came from the store with, and just sat them into the tins.

However, you can definitely drill or punch holes into your tin for drainage and add potting soil directly to the new planters.

Enjoy!

How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Molly - Just a Little Creativity

• MaryAnn
    MaryAnn

I liked the mirror finish before you started distressing. But that's just me. A satin silver or pewter finish would be nice too. Matte black pots are so in and so expensive. You can create many stylish decor planters with all the various spray paints. Would you suggest using a primer coat before the paint for extra rust protection?

• Elizabeth Donegan
    Elizabeth Donegan

Does the can have to be painted?

• Elizabeth Donegan
    Elizabeth Donegan

Does the can have to be painted?

• Dianab
    Dianab

liked your craft but couldn't watch with an

ad popping up every 20 seconds

• Linda
    Linda

Thank you for your post. I gave a popcorn tin to my brother and his wife for Christmas. Will share your idea so they can recycle the tin. Brilliant