How to Upcycle Your Christmas Popcorns Tins Into Metal Planters

$15

We all know and love those Christmas popcorn tins full of cheddar, white, and caramel popcorn don't we!

Well, have you ever thought about saving the tins and upcycling them into planters after the season is over?

With a little paint and time, it's very easy to make faux galvanized tin planters from your popcorn tins.

Here are a few of my Christmas popcorn tins before their makeover. First, we enjoyed the popcorn, and ate way too much of it.

Then, we reused them as year-round decor in our home.

You can see all the supplies I used in my original post for this project on my blog, justalittlecreativity.com

To begin, wash and clean the tins on the inside and outside with dishsoap and water. This step is important to remove any oils that may be left over from storing the popcorn.

Next, use a good quality metal spray paint and give them a full, shiny coat of paint. I personally have had good results with both Krylon & Rustoleum brands.

Next, you'll be using regular craft paint in gray, black and white. This paint will be a more flat finish compared to the shiny metallic spray paint, and this is ok. It tends to add a look of age and texture this way.

You're going to use paint brush and pounce your craft paints all over the can, layering and layering and layering the colors until you're happy.

Keep in mind, this is just paint, and if you add too much of one color, or you're not pleased with how it looks, you can let it dry and paint over any mistakes. Don't stress!

One easy way to pull back too much paint and blend it better is with a wash cloth or other type of textured fabric.

When you're happy with the finish, find your favorite plant and add it to the tin!

I kept my plants in their plastic pots they came from the store with, and just sat them into the tins.

However, you can definitely drill or punch holes into your tin for drainage and add potting soil directly to the new planters.

Enjoy!

21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Molly - Just a Little Creativity

• Paula
    Paula

Love this idea!!❤️❤️

• Donna
      Donna

Yes! I seen a tin that cost 19.99

Now! I can make my own farmhouse design & Save $$$

• Patty
    Patty

Don’t you need drain holes for the plants guess you may put rocks on the bottom

• Linda
      Linda

You could use rocks or balls of aluminum foil for drainage. If you drill holes in the bottom of the container, you will need a circular try placed under the container the catch the water.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Wonderful paint technique. Are these planters watertight, would they damaged hardwood floors?

• Pamela
      Pamela

I would put a clear plastic drip pan under it, just in case.