Decorative Wooden Wall Hook

$5

We saw the cutest accessory hook for sale in a vacation shop, but at $30 it was way more than we were willing to pay.
However, I couldn't get it out of my head and I knew it would look perfect in our newly renovated cottage style bathroom. So we made one of our own for a lot less!
We started by grabbing a rectangular moulding cap at the hardware store for less than two bucks.
It had that rustic styling that would look fabulous with our new wooden bathroom vanity countertop.
Once we got it home, I painted it with craft paint, in a creamy, off white. I used a bristle brush and applied it in the direction of the grain.
I also rubbed it with a tiny bit of antiquing gel when the paint was dry, to give it an aged feel.
Next, my husband used his ruler and pencil to mark the spot where he needed to drill a hole so we could add the actual hook.
Then he took it outside for a date with his drill and a few coats of spray polyurethane to seal it.
Unlike the inspiration piece, in place of a hook I used a cabinet knob. It was much more decorative and charming, but still had enough of a projection to hang items on.
I'm just hanging hand towels on this one.
It's the perfect little touch in the room and I think it looks even better than the one in the shop. You can click over to my site to compare the two if you like and for more details.

Kim  |Exquisitely Unremarkable