Glass Christmas Plate DIY

$5

Are a red truck/ car fan? Me too, but I didn't have one for Christmas.

Then I found a few old plates at the thrift store and some super cute napkins at a discount shop. I knew that together they could become a darling holiday accessory and I wasn't wrong.

Now decoupage isn't my favorite craft, it can be a little prickly, but I loved the napkins and decided to give it a try.

When I found these plates they were all scratched up, so I decided to give them a makeover to hide the damage. I turned some of them into gorgeous faux milk glass...but these were sprayed with a frosted sparkle paint.

While they were drying, I separated the napkins, so the picture was only a single ply. Then I cut it out in the size and shape I needed to fit in the small centered circle on the plate.

Then I coated the back of the plate with Mod Podge and pressed my napkin face down on it. I smoothed it down with my fingers ( a plastic bag between my fingers and the napkin helped the paper to stay in one piece) and then added more decoupage over the back of it to seal it.

When I was done, I had a lovely decor accent for my Christmas kitchen. And my red truck fix!

Keep in mind that even if these plates weren't painted, I still wouldn't eat off of them. While the treatment was done to the back of the plates, the decoupage gets damaged if it gets wet when washing.

There is a dishwasher safe decoupage, but it I've never tried it and it doesn't get great reviews...so, I'd use these pieces for eye candy only.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Kim  |Exquisitely Unremarkable

• Melody Stern

Darling!...but, Using Imperial Candlewick depression crystal glass plates!! Scratched or not,what a find at the Thrifty store! As a collector of Candlewick,I can tell you that I couldn't even afford "one" of the dinner plates on e-bay! LOL!...(you have the salad plates)..Lucky you!!!

• Jo Ann Stidman

What a beautiful , simple solution to the tons of charger plates u can find at the thrift stores. This is so lovely....I headed to the thrift store today! I love the beaded decor on the plate. This rocks!

I will look for the dishwasher safe products and I can see doing this with a plate full of homemade cookies as a gift.

Thank you for sharing!

• Thanks Jo Ann! I believe someone in the comments above listed a product they use that holds up to water well. And as long as you only decorate the back it should be ok! Best of luck!