Glass Christmas Plate DIY

$5

Are a red truck/ car fan? Me too, but I didn't have one for Christmas.

Then I found a few old plates at the thrift store and some super cute napkins at a discount shop. I knew that together they could become a darling holiday accessory and I wasn't wrong.

Now decoupage isn't my favorite craft, it can be a little prickly, but I loved the napkins and decided to give it a try.

When I found these plates they were all scratched up, so I decided to give them a makeover to hide the damage. I turned some of them into gorgeous faux milk glass...but these were sprayed with a frosted sparkle paint.

While they were drying, I separated the napkins, so the picture was only a single ply. Then I cut it out in the size and shape I needed to fit in the small centered circle on the plate.

Then I coated the back of the plate with Mod Podge and pressed my napkin face down on it. I smoothed it down with my fingers ( a plastic bag between my fingers and the napkin helped the paper to stay in one piece) and then added more decoupage over the back of it to seal it.

When I was done, I had a lovely decor accent for my Christmas kitchen. And my red truck fix!

Keep in mind that even if these plates weren't painted, I still wouldn't eat off of them. While the treatment was done to the back of the plates, the decoupage gets damaged if it gets wet when washing.

There is a dishwasher safe decoupage, but it I've never tried it and it doesn't get great reviews...so, I'd use these pieces for eye candy only.

Kim  |Exquisitely Unremarkable

• Melody Stern

Darling!...but, Using Imperial Candlewick depression crystal glass plates!! Scratched or not,what a find at the Thrifty store! As a collector of Candlewick,I can tell you that I couldn't even afford "one" of the dinner plates on e-bay! LOL!...(you have the salad plates)..Lucky you!!!

• Jo Ann Stidman

What a beautiful , simple solution to the tons of charger plates u can find at the thrift stores. This is so lovely....I headed to the thrift store today! I love the beaded decor on the plate. This rocks!

I will look for the dishwasher safe products and I can see doing this with a plate full of homemade cookies as a gift.

Thank you for sharing!

• Thanks Jo Ann! I believe someone in the comments above listed a product they use that holds up to water well. And as long as you only decorate the back it should be ok! Best of luck!