Painted Pinecone Wreath

$10

Getting back into the groove of things after the holidays is always a little slow. Today I'm excited to share my winter painted pinecone wreath with you. It's inexpensive to make and you can paint the pinecones any color you like.
Here is what you need:Materials
  • Glue Gun
  • 1/2 of a 10″ Wood Embroidery Hoop   (the other half was used on this wreath // here //
  • Martha Stewart Crafts Liquid Gilding
  • Craft Paintbrushes
  • DecoArt Americana Paints: Pink Chiffon ,  Light Mauve , Poodle Skirt Pink , Boysenberry Pink , Avocado Dip , Evergreen
  • About 30 Eastern White Pinecones – dried and bug-free
  • About 30 Shortleaf Pinecones (or what I suspect, are actually 30 really small Eastern Whites)
  • Ribbon
Step 1: Paint your pinecones! I divide mine up 6 at a time. I painted the inside of the spines first, and the outside. That way you would catch the colour from every angle.
Step 2: While the big ones are drying, paint the small ones. In this case I just painted the outside. I did half in liquid gold, and then used different shades of pink and green to do the other half.
Step 3: While you wait for all the painted pinecones to dry, apply your base rim of pinecones to the hoop.
Step 4: With your base layer securely attached, start adding the painted pinecones in the spaces in between. I kept to one direction, but inverted some just to keep it fresh.
Step 5: Once you’ve applied your Eastern Whites, glue the smaller ones into the gaps to cover the giant gobs of glue and such.
Step 6: Once you’re satisfied with the wreath’s cone placement, add your ribbon! Thankfully the pinecones left a few gaps between them and the hoop, so I was able to thread a big velour ribbon through the hole.
Hang your wreath and enjoy your craftiness.

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Ariel

• Sandra Salisbury

I love the country as well as sophisticated decor style of this wreath. I have collected pinecones as well as Sugar Gum pine cones, over the last five years. They are also different types: small, large, papery, and even the base of the cones that have lost their "petals". I like the sound of the look!

Also, I would like to imbue the cones with scent, i.e., cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and mace. If this would work out, will you please tell me how I would go about doing it?

Again, this would be a wreath for the year! How about, the Fourth of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your terrific wreath!!!!

• Pamela Mulkey

To add a scent, I would use essential oils applied to small pieces of cotton balls or tiny pom poms and then use tweezers or any kind of narrow stick (think cuticle pusher, toothpick or twig) to gently push them down inside a few of the pine cones on the back side of the wreath.

• Denise Ferree

Good way to use them, I have foot long pine cones. Was thinking of something like that for outside on the garage wall.

• Mary McDonald

Super cute! And I’ve got to say I noticed you are not afraid of colour! I don’t know how but your pinks look really good with your orange colours! You have a great eye!