Handmade Draft Dodger

$1

The senior community I live in pays our utilities. I am grateful for it and try to be frugal with the bill. When I keep both doors open for light, there is a gap under the older screen doors.

So I took an old towel and went to work. I cut it length wise and got my hot glue gun out.

By cutting the towel in half, I got two dodgers our of one. I simply rolled it up as I was gluing.

I folded it in half and then began to roll, making sure the fold was what was left when done. That way, any raveling would be inside, never to be a problem.

Gluing it as you go along is key, but I didn't have a full length surface to work with. If you do, it's much easier. I kind of had to roll/glue/move it down the table edge. Making sure they are the exact length needed is key. Anything too short and you let air in.

Almost done!!

Nice and tight and never to come undone, I was ready to put them to work.

This was a good solution to two problems. One, the cold. Also, my cat Connor viewed the leaves that fluttered under the door as birds or mice. Once, he tried to get to them and I saw the door kind of "give". I was afraid he would pop the screen door lock and be lost outside. So, this fixed two problems at once.

At first I thought it would only be useful when the door is open. then, I realized the wooden door actually wedges the towel between the two doors, helping to keep the drafts out at night, too. Win Win!!

• Edi Ramos Donelson
    An hour ago

Donna and Sandra Allen, I have some food storage wheat that spilled. I might go ahead and put that inside the towels to keep them in place and to use up the wheat. Cats may think twice before running off with a pound or two of a draft stopper.

• Sandra Allen
    2 minutes ago

I agree. Just be careful about it drawing moisture. You can get play sand at the dollar store and it might last you longer.