How can I achieve the look of the clock hands on this Table?

+14

So I changed my mind on the white or gray for the table I have in the entryway. I have this clock that I'm putting in the adjacent room(with the same green walls) and want to paint the table the color of the clock hands. It looks like black or mahogany color covered with a white and distressed. I have a few ideas of how to achieve this look but I've never done this before so it will probably turn out a mess. Will it even look good? The wall the shelf is against is green however the other walls are a light gray. The other pictures are just to give a sense of the place(Please don't mind the mess we just moved in & are still fixing up the place).

q how should i paint this table
q how should i paint this table
q how should i paint this table
q how should i paint this table
  • Gk Gk on Dec 23, 2019

I think you are on the right track with either a gray or a white chalk paint. I am thinking that since your trim/wainscotting is white you could go with white and it would blend in better! I like Annie Sloan Old White--it's not a bright white--a bit more subdued white. If you go with gray it gives you a pop of color but stands out more. Either would be pretty with the wall color. I am partial to charcoal gray chalk paint rather than a lighter gray! I would center that shelf a little bit more--looking at the carpeted overhang at the top of that short wall to center the shelf. The Christmas stockings may be in the way right now! Things are starting to look good! Have fun in your new house!

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Dec 23, 2019

Looks like chalk white would be great.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Dec 23, 2019

Hi Leanne, congrats on your new home. I hope you make many happy memories there. Painting the little stand should be easy enough and chalk paint comes in so many different colors you can update any other bits that don't fit it too. A whole bunch of hometalkers have shared makeovers using chalk paint and you can find them all here  https://www.hometalk.com/search/all?filter=chalk%20paint%20makeovers Have fun decorating and the mess makes it a home

• Since they are neutral, white or gray are good choices.

• Natalie Natalie on Dec 23, 2019

I love white! And you can definitely do something fun on the back, like wallpaper!

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Dec 23, 2019

If it’s high wear and tear, I would steer away from white. Maybe something for a pop of color like red or teal.

• When in doubt I always go with white. It's a unifying color and it will go with everything. You can still accent it with wallpaper or pretty contact paper to give it a pop. And I would use chalk paint...so easy! Congrats on the house!

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Dec 23, 2019

I would distress it or else chalk paint it

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 23, 2019

If you want to feature the table itself (wherever you decide to put it) paint it a contrasting color to the wall that it sits in front of.

If you want the table to 'fade away', featuring instead the items that you put on the shelves for display, then paint it the same color as the wall it sits in front of.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Dec 24, 2019

You could always paint it white and add a pop of color in the back.

• Janice Janice on Dec 24, 2019

Hi Leanne, white is always a good way to go and since you have the white bead-board going on, white would tie in well. Congrats on your new home and you seem to have a nice decorating style (based on stockings and decorations shown in the pics) so why not give yourself a brief break, unpack the rest of your belongings and then decide projects to tackle when you have more time? Best wishes to you and your family in your new home!

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Dec 25, 2019

since you have mostly white trim around your house I would paint same color

• Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Dec 26, 2019

Would it be too much work to strip it, and stain it the same colour as the wood in your dining room set?

• My Family Thyme My Family Thyme on Dec 26, 2019

Congratulations on your new home! I would paint the bookcase a lighter, neutral color (light gray or white). I like your idea of a wallpaper for the back of the shelves. There are a variety of choices for removable wallpapers too. Chalk paint is a great option because it requires little prep, no priming, and dries quickly. You can seal it with wax to add to its durability as well. Good luck with your project!

• Homeroad Homeroad on Dec 28, 2019

I would paint it a lighter color using a chalky paint so there isn't too much prep work

• Try your best. Try your best. on Dec 29, 2019

I say white to..congrats on your home :)

• DD DD on Jan 03, 2020

I agree white will look good, maybe a Gray top just for a bit of color