Update. should I paint this table?

+13

*Thank you so much for all of the ideas! Overwhelmed with gratitude with all of the support. Thank you ladies...Really love the red idea but I'm still unsure. It's my boyfriend's table from his previous place and he doesn't want to do anything to it but I'm working on him. Painted the wall chalkboard for the kids today and I'm in love! Here's an updated picture. Thank you all again!*

I need ideas to repurpose this high top table. The kitchen is painted white and the half wall behind the table will be painted black chalkboard. We have the black metal stools for the table. It seems like we are going with white&black buffalo check with a few pops of red for the kitchen. Any ideas? I'm new at this but I had an idea of painting the top a white marble and the legs a distressed gun metal gray or black...but again I'm new at this and don't know if the end result would look tacky.

q how should i paint this table
q how should i paint this table
q how should i paint this table
q how should i paint this table
q how should i paint this table
  • Gk Gk on Dec 23, 2019

Maybe that table would look darling painted red! A bold pop of color with your black and white! I am a fan of more of a cranberry red.

• Leanne Leanne on Dec 23, 2019

Thank you! I love that! I saw a real table earlier and loved the idea of a peice of furniture in such a fun bold color

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Dec 23, 2019

Hi Leanne, your idea to paint the top in white marble and have gun metal legs sounds awesome. Maybe this tutorial will give you some ideas on how you can do that - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh_Q6_2Lbf4

• Natalie Natalie on Dec 23, 2019

I think your idea sounds great!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Dec 23, 2019

Hi Leanne,

There's always one in the crowd!

I would leave it alone and not paint it at all, it is beautiful and the natural grain of the wood is something to behold.

If you are determined to "do something", how about a table cloth?

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 23, 2019

Leanne...You have a good idea...believe I would follow it! Send us a picture when you finish! Good luck

• Nan W. Nan W. on Dec 23, 2019

Leanne: my first inclination was to paint it a true grey. But then I read the RED comments and might go with that.... something fun! You can always repaint too.

• Emily Emily on Dec 23, 2019

Hi Leanne, I lean towards the white, although a black and white checkerboard top would look great too, then with black legs? I love Buffalo checks and the idea of red is great too, but I would use maybe red placemats or accessories for the table top such as you have! Or salt and pepper shakers, a vase, You could also (If you sew) make a quilted red table pad the exact size of the table top and thus have two completely different looks with a swish!

• I would paint it white and then I'd be tempted to stencil the top in a buffalo check pattern....but I like drama in my decor! Or you could paint it all white and put buffalo check placemats or a runner on it. Then you could swap them out when you like.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 24, 2019

You could paint just the side spindles black and leave the rest of the table brown for now. It would be a smaller and easier project than trying to redo the entire table all at once, and may be just enough of what the table needs to match it with the stools.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Dec 25, 2019

I would only paint legs of your table white but top needs to stay brown..Just a bit of sanding and fresh coat of stain and you are good to go

• Janice Janice on Dec 26, 2019

Your original idea of a marble look top, etc. is awesome, then you can add your color with place mats and accessories to change the look whenever you wish.

• Sandra Sandra on Dec 28, 2019

I'm guessing he likes wood, and doesn't like the 'painted' look. Maybe re-stain it a deeper, modern wood color?