Asked on Dec 24, 2019

How many cans of spray paint do I need for 4 metal chairs?

Libbie BCraft InvadersKmdreamer
+9

• Annie
    Annie

Just a guess, but I would say 3. But I would for sure pick up one more than you think you need, just in case.

Then just keep the receipt and return to the store if you don't need it!

• Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes

Jud...I would just want a good coverage so depends but if you got too many you can usually take back if not used.

• Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Hi Judy Ann Marie,

It depends on the size and amount of metal on the chairs. I'd suggest that you use Rustoleum and get at least 3 cans. As Annie stated, you can always return a can if it's not needed but it's not fun to run out of paint during a project. When you use spray paint, you should use 2-3 light coats and let each coat dry before spraying on the next one. Also make sure the chairs are clean and sand off any rust. I'd get started by painting one coat on each chair. If you use 1 can to do this, you'll know that 3 is enough. If you need to use the second can for the first coat, you can get more while the first coat dries. Also be sure to spray paint in a well ventilated area. I don't know where you live, but if it's warm enough paint outside. Be sure to cover all surfaces near where you are painting due to overspray. If you HAVE to paint inside, spray inside a large box, open windows and have fans going while you're spraying. I hope this helps. Wishing you the best.

• Maura White
    Maura White

Quick tip that I learned the hard way - don't spray paint outside when its windy. Or you'll lose half of your can to the wind!

• I would buy one can for each chair. It will depend on whether or not you prime them, how heavy the coats need to be, if you're using a light color over dark, etc. You can always return extra- or keep it for touch ups, but I've run out of paint and then couldn't find another can of matching paint and had to start all over.

• Mogie
    Mogie

LOL Maura is correct I leaned the same lesson the hard way. I figure one can of paint per chair. But I applied several coats and wanted some left over for touch ups. Best to buy a little too much instead of not having enough.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I’d get four cans but make sure there’s extra available at the store if you need more.

• Laura Cooper
    Laura Cooper

I agree with some of the others..... Over buy and return what's unused. I can't tell you how often I've run to the store in the middle of a project to buy more spray paint!

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

Do you need a primer coat? For top coat, best to buy more than you think you need. Can always return or keep for touch ups as others have advised.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

I’m going to say 2 cans

• Craft Invaders
    Craft Invaders

I think you'll need four cans too

• Libbie B
    Libbie B

I would say a can per chair.