Picture Rail

$30

Great to display photos and artwork and change it out as often as you like!

I wanted two 6’ rails. We bought two 1x3x6 and one 1x2x6 pine boards for EACH rail. We chose a Minwax Stain and Polyurethane combo in a color to coordinate with the rest of our woodwork, but they would be nice painted too.

I ran a thin line of wood glue along the board before nailing them together. Probably not necessary but it doesn’t hurt either!

Even though the boards were precut to 6’ we wanted nice, clean cuts on the ends so we used a square and trimmed the ends off.

We used these drywall hangers and screws to mount the rail to the wall.

We used a level and tape to make sure the rails were evenly spaced and nice and level.

All done and we love them!

• Alexandra

How were they mounted? I don’t see any screws but the instructions also didn’t say anything about creating any holes or slides for mounting.

• Kimberly Stanley Keeton

We didn’t show that part but we used a drywall anchor and screwed right through the back piece of the rail and into the wall. They’re not very heavy. The screws aren’t very noticeable but you dont see them anyway because they’re behind the pictures.

• Linda L Lee

Looks like 3 boards to me. What did you use for front edge to keep pics on ledge? Thanks.

• Kimberly Stanley Keeton

Each one is made with three boards. The back (against the wall) and the actual shelf portion (what the pictures sit on) are 1x3. The lip to keep the pictures from sliding off is made from a 1x2. It’s all pine wood (very inexpensive) from Lowe’s.

• Barbara

How far apart are your picture ledges? And how far from the ground did you put lower shelf.

• Kimberly Stanley Keeton

I placed the bottom Shelf so it was comfortable to look at eye level and the upper shed is about 16” above the lower one. (I wanted to leave enough room for an 11x14 frame if I needed it.) But you can customize them however you like to fit your own needs.

• Mary

Love your picture rails Kimberly! Thank you for perfect timing, showing your materials and process. Now maybe my hubs will make these as narrow book ledges/picture rails to use behind a door! That space that is always wasted.

These look great and so functional too! Thanks again!

• Kimberly Stanley Keeton

Thanks! Of all the crafts, etc. I’ve attempted, this one, by far, has been my favorite and one of the easiest too!