Mock Fireplace and Mantel

$11

I decided that I wanted to decorate a fireplace mantel for Christmas this year. Unfortunately, I do not have a fireplace in my house so I decided to make one!

This is the best place I had to make one on the wall and still have room for a tree so I cleared it out and got busy.

I gathered some wood scrap pieces that I had in the garage and arranged them until I had a design that I liked.

I also gathered a window moulding that I purchased at an auction for two dollars that resembled a mantel and started painting.

I kept two long strips and painted them a very light gold color to go on either side of the fireplace.

I wasn't sure if I would be keeping the fireplace after Christmas so I used some Command picture hanging strips to secure everything to my wall knowing that I couldn't place anything heavy on the mantel that way.

I added the decorative pieces of wood last. It was a bit time consuming since I wasn't using hardware but it turned out nice in the end.

Here's the finished product! I hung my homemade wreath above it and placed a large picture wrapped like Santa in the chimney to cover the outlet and I was pleased.

• Scrap wood and moulding  (my garage)
  • Spray paint  (Home Depot)
  • Command picture hanging velcro strips  (Home Depot)

• Kathy Kay

Love it, you could also hang one of those fireplace heaters on your wall in the opening to really give the look of a real fireplace... just a thought

• Maria Lisonbee

I have wanted one just like it for Christmas to hang stockings and make it look warm for the holidays! And it could be hung from Thanksgiving on!!