Lit Vase From the Unspeakable - Adult Version

$5

This very elegant glowing vase is actually a toilet brush holder. Nobody will guess.

I discovered this unused toilet brush set in the cleaning cupboard. This got me thinking about what a great shape these things actually have, provided you can get around the unsavory connotation of what they actually do. For some reason it was more acceptable to change one into a children’s night-light because it doesn’t stand on a dining room table, which is what I did in my previous post. After doing the kid’s one I could get over myself and do this one.

Actually I think it would be really great if you had a couple as party decor on a verandah. But I‘m not sure what to do with all the toilet brushes!

You will need a new toilet brush holder and some round disk such as a coaster or plastic lid. I used a one from a tub of hummus. It needs to fit loosely into the inside of the brush holder base. If you can’t find one, just cut one to size or use foam board. The base of a plastic soda bottle may also possibly work. You will also need a string of fairy lights, sticky tape and glue gun.

Turn the holder upside down and use the tape to stick the lights around the central pillar. In my previous project this was very easy because the holder was shallow and the inside space was wide but this one was more difficult because it was much higher and narrower. The reason for doing this is that you need to distribute the lights evenly and unless you stick them into position, they may drop to the bottom when turned upright. Once again, this depends on the shape of the holder and how heavy the lights are.

Keep the switch on the outside.

Test the lights and turn the whole thing upright to see if the lights stay in place.

If you are satisfied, place a blob of glue in the centre of the plastic disk and then stick it to the base of the pillar.

Glued in position with switch on the outside

Turn the vase into position and switch on the light. You could also prettify the switch with washi tape but I had a beautiful shell to hide mine with.

Not too bad for a ghastly functional object. And it’s standing on the dining room table.

Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home