Lit Vase From the Unspeakable - Adult Version

$5

This very elegant glowing vase is actually a toilet brush holder. Nobody will guess.

I discovered this unused toilet brush set in the cleaning cupboard. This got me thinking about what a great shape these things actually have, provided you can get around the unsavory connotation of what they actually do. For some reason it was more acceptable to change one into a children’s night-light because it doesn’t stand on a dining room table, which is what I did in my previous post. After doing the kid’s one I could get over myself and do this one.

Actually I think it would be really great if you had a couple as party decor on a verandah. But I‘m not sure what to do with all the toilet brushes!

You will need a new toilet brush holder and some round disk such as a coaster or plastic lid. I used a one from a tub of hummus. It needs to fit loosely into the inside of the brush holder base. If you can’t find one, just cut one to size or use foam board. The base of a plastic soda bottle may also possibly work. You will also need a string of fairy lights, sticky tape and glue gun.

Turn the holder upside down and use the tape to stick the lights around the central pillar. In my previous project this was very easy because the holder was shallow and the inside space was wide but this one was more difficult because it was much higher and narrower. The reason for doing this is that you need to distribute the lights evenly and unless you stick them into position, they may drop to the bottom when turned upright. Once again, this depends on the shape of the holder and how heavy the lights are.

Keep the switch on the outside.

Test the lights and turn the whole thing upright to see if the lights stay in place.

If you are satisfied, place a blob of glue in the centre of the plastic disk and then stick it to the base of the pillar.

Glued in position with switch on the outside

Turn the vase into position and switch on the light. You could also prettify the switch with washi tape but I had a beautiful shell to hide mine with.

Not too bad for a ghastly functional object. And it’s standing on the dining room table.

18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers

• Sharon

Do you think that instead of tape to hold the lights you could just press the lights in with the large glue dots?

• LouAnn Miller

It looks like the lights go from the top of the vase to the bottom. How did you get that effect. When I turn mine upside down to place the lights. The well does not go to the top. It is not very deep. What am I not seeing or what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any answers!

• Thea

I guess it depends on what the how the holder is constructed and there is’n’t much you can do if it isn’t deep enough. Did you turn It on though and check if the effect is satisfactory? I’m hoping that enough reflected light shines through the plastic to give the same effect. If not you will have to get another holder.

• Monica P Cole

I’m confused are both ends open ? And the one end has the plastic lid ?

• Thea

So there is a hollow for the brush, thats where you put the flowers. The bottom is open with the bulge, you put the lights around the bulge but from the bottom.

• Thea

Thanks for your kind words Nancy. It was indeed a nice cheap project. I don’t know if you saw my lit drinks cooler

https://www.hometalk.com/44316572/glowing-drinks-cooler or the children’s night light that I made that uses the same principle?

• JoAnn Wachholz

Hi, I don't have a question. I do have suggestion. Buy tongs at the dollar tree so you can grab the lights if the fAl. You said the opening was narrow, the tongs do come in more than one size. Its almost like having a 3rd hand. Just a thought... Good Day