Lit Vase From the Unspeakable - Adult Version

$5

This very elegant glowing vase is actually a toilet brush holder. Nobody will guess.

I discovered this unused toilet brush set in the cleaning cupboard. This got me thinking about what a great shape these things actually have, provided you can get around the unsavory connotation of what they actually do. For some reason it was more acceptable to change one into a children’s night-light because it doesn’t stand on a dining room table, which is what I did in my previous post. After doing the kid’s one I could get over myself and do this one.

Actually I think it would be really great if you had a couple as party decor on a verandah. But I‘m not sure what to do with all the toilet brushes!

You will need a new toilet brush holder and some round disk such as a coaster or plastic lid. I used a one from a tub of hummus. It needs to fit loosely into the inside of the brush holder base. If you can’t find one, just cut one to size or use foam board. The base of a plastic soda bottle may also possibly work. You will also need a string of fairy lights, sticky tape and glue gun.

Turn the holder upside down and use the tape to stick the lights around the central pillar. In my previous project this was very easy because the holder was shallow and the inside space was wide but this one was more difficult because it was much higher and narrower. The reason for doing this is that you need to distribute the lights evenly and unless you stick them into position, they may drop to the bottom when turned upright. Once again, this depends on the shape of the holder and how heavy the lights are.

Keep the switch on the outside.

Test the lights and turn the whole thing upright to see if the lights stay in place.

If you are satisfied, place a blob of glue in the centre of the plastic disk and then stick it to the base of the pillar.

Glued in position with switch on the outside

Turn the vase into position and switch on the light. You could also prettify the switch with washi tape but I had a beautiful shell to hide mine with.

Not too bad for a ghastly functional object. And it’s standing on the dining room table.

Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter

• Sandi Landi
    Sandi Landi

So the switch sits on the outside and needs to be covered with something ?

is there a way to make a faux bottom that it would be deeper and it could sit over the switch or the switch could be mounted inside of a faux bottom ?

this is a great project and I’m not that gifted in the crafting Dept but think I could do this if I finds solution to this minor issue ?

• Thea
      Thea

It needn’t be covered. You could also make other plans depending in the size of the base and the switch or whether you want it to be visible or not. With the green night light I made (also under my profile) I left it outside for access.

• Christine Newberry
      Christine Newberry

You could use lights that are on a timer.

• Nancy Schaffer
      Nancy Schaffer

Maybe wrap the lights so the switch is on top and sits on top of the disc, where it can be easily reached and is hidden by some greenery?

• Peggy
      Peggy

You can buy them with a remote/timer. I got 4 strings for about $20 on Amazon. I stuffed one string inside 3 mercury glass Christmas trees on my dining table (scratched some of the painted surface from the inside of the trees so the lights would twinkle through.) Another string decorated a hanging metal leaf sculpture over the guest john. On that one, I used the timer--a guiding light for middle of the night. Endless applications.

• Judith Kmiec
      Judith Kmiec

You could use Led lights that have a timer on them no need to switch them on and off You just would need access to change the batteries when needed

• Michael Flynn
      Michael Flynn

You could always hot glue it to the rear of the vase. Still outside for easy access

• Suze
      Suze

If the base is styrofoam, why not carve out a spot to keep the switch on the outer bottom?

• Jodie
      Jodie

Why not get the lights that are remote controlled ?

• Kiki
      Kiki

exacto knife a door towards bottom and put inside

• Kathy Haines Cramer
      Kathy Haines Cramer

Cut a hole in the bulging bottom, big enough to place the base over the battery pack. Although, you might be able to see it.

• Dorothy Frankey
    Dorothy Frankey

If I glue the plastic lid in place over the lights inside the container, how do I stabilize the decorative items I might I want to have come out of it? Like your lighted vase shows some greenery on top.

• Carol
    Carol

Where did you get the nautilus shell? The light project is cool, but the nautilus is even better!!

• Thea
      Thea

I ‘inherited’ it with a furnished apartment and took it off the wall when I did the ‘modernist artwork from wood’. It is actually, cut in half.

• Jerilyn Winstead
    Jerilyn Winstead

I'm confused - there's already a base on a toilet brush holder. Did you drill a hole down there for the light wire to come out of? Why are you gluing a plastic base onto the base already on the holder? I'm trying to picture exactly what you did...

• Jerilyn Winstead
      Jerilyn Winstead

Also, if you turn the base upside down, you cannot tape lights inside because there's no opening on that side!

• Cindy Lavene
      Cindy Lavene

Look at the pics more closely and you will see.

• Thea
      Thea

The ones I used are all open at the bottom except for the bulge that acts as a drip tray. There is a gulley on the outer side. The reason you stick something inside is so that you can lift the whole thing without the wire tumbling out. 4th picture from the top shows the structure. Hope that makes sense.😃

• Ellie
      Ellie

Nice nice.

• Brianna
      Brianna

I had to look at the OXO brush holder on amazon to understand the pictures as well. The mind plays tricks with that picture of the lights taped inside. A better angle would have been easier to tell but once you look at what type of brush holder shes changing it makes sense.

• Laura Martinez
    Laura Martinez

What is in the holder? I’d like some. Are they real or artificial? Thanks

• Kathy
    Kathy

The brush may b useful for brushing pet hairs of upholstery perhaps?. ( shorten the handle?). Just a light bulb thought!

• Thea
      Thea

That could work.

• Nikki Dare
      Nikki Dare

I keep dollar tree bowl brushes on hand for scrubbing chores outdoors.... Fence, gutter, tires, planters, doggo dishes, fountains... Whatever needs a good scrub:) I also HATE wearing shoes outdoors and the old style curved loop brushes are perfect shape for scrubbing grubby bare feet before coming indoors :)

• Jacky
      Jacky

Keep one in the kitchen to clean the garbage disposal

• Dana
      Dana

Also good for scrubbing baseboards... :)

• Karin
      Karin

I use a toilet brush (never been in the toilet) for scrubbing the bathtub. Makes it so easy to just spray cleaner and scrub, don't have to bend as much.

• LorriLJ
      LorriLJ

Could use extra brush for scrubbing the litter box.

Also great for grabbing cobwebs off rough surfaces like in the barn.

• Trish
    Trish

I wonder if you could chalk paint it?

• Thea
      Thea

Do you mean the plastic? Believe it or not I am not that experienced with chalk paint but there are definitely things you can decorate it with- sharpies, vinyl, nail polish (which is what I did on the nightlight -posted under my profile).

• Vickie Sampier
    Vickie Sampier

Can you use a string of tree lights to get same effect

• Dot
      Dot

I think a string of tree lights might get too hot with the "close up effect" Hmmmm, try it

• Melissa Zahm
      Melissa Zahm

I think you might be ok with like a 50 ct led string. LED’s tend to not get too hot and as a safety precaution, I wouldn’t leave it plugged in while not home.

• Pmichellecox
      Pmichellecox

Without some ventilation the regular Christmas light would get to hot and melt it unless you use the LED light which will not get hot

• Thea
      Thea

Around here most people have plastic/tinsel trees, we seldom have real trees. If tree lights work for fake Christmas trees they should be okay for this application? The wire is often quite thick and ugly though.🤔

• Pamela
    Pamela

Looks like the lights are inside, did I miss something?

• Tmitch5006
      Tmitch5006

The lights are between the inside cylinder and outside walls of the brush holder,so technically they are inside the walls🥰

• Elaine Marie
      Elaine Marie

The lights are wrapped around the outside of the section that would hold the toilet brush. (The photo looks like an empty cylinder When you first glance at it.) Then the lid is glued to the same brush holder section.

• Phyllis
      Phyllis

Thank you for explaining. I get it now. Yay! You turn the cylinder upside down and wrap the lights inside from the bottom.

• Teresa L Baker
      Teresa L Baker

Thanks for explaining also. I kept trying to see how the bottom held or if was inside. Hahaha

• Grace
    Grace

Beautiful. I see that you but foliage inside? How far down did you glue the lid? What did the glob of glue that you placed at the end in the middle of the lid stick to since it is hollow inside and last question...if you use the bottom of a plastic soda bottle, do you think you could cut it to make the lid deeper (to hold a little water) but still glue it to the inside so that you can put fresh flowers in?

• Lori Lytle
      Lori Lytle

The plastic lid is glued to the outside bottom of the toilet brush cleaner.

• Elaine Marie
      Elaine Marie

The area that holds the toilet brush (if it were standing right side up as when you use it in the bathroom) would hold water for plants. No need to cut anything. The photo is from the underside and shows the well created from the sides of the container and the cylinder area where the brush sits.

• Marjorie Dowden
      Marjorie Dowden

The toilet bush holder has a well that runs down the middle that would hold the toilet brush and catches the water once you're finished cleaning your toilet. She's turning the holder upside down and working from the bottom. You wrap your lights around the "well", taping them in place as you go so they will stay in place. Once everything's in place she glues the lid to the bottom opening, leaving the on and off switch on the outside. The glob on hot glue should attach/catch the bottom of of the "well" to help seal the lid in place. You then turn it over and can place your arrangement in the "well" that would normally hold the toilet brush. It can also hold water for fresh flowers.

• Lora
      Lora

I didn’t do this project but the brush holder is one molded piece. The inside cylinder is part of the holder. There is no soda bottle in there. It’s just the section that holds the brush. The cap at the bottom is just a plastic lid from a food container that was the same size and was glued on to give a finishing touch to the underside of the finished “vase”. You don’t have to put anything on the bottom if you don’t want to. The shell is there just to hide the wire and battery pack with the switch . Cute idea. Hope this clears the instructions up for you..

• Grace
    Grace

Beautiful how many strings of lights did you use? What did the final glob of glue that you placed in the center of the lid stick to? If using a plastic soda bottle, do you think that you cut it so that it fits a little deeper in the container so that it can hold a little water so that you could put fresh flowers or a small plant that doesnt take much water in it?

• Thea
      Thea

Remember, the holder is almost ‘M’-shaped if you cut it in half. The middle is a convex cavity into which the brush goes. It you turn it upside down you will see the bottom of this cavity right in the middle. You stick the loose disk to this. Once it is right side up you can’t see the disk. The flowers go where the brush would have gone.

• Geraldine
      Geraldine

Fire Hazard

• Angie's Desires
      Angie's Desires

I've never ever seen any fairly lights that get hot enough to cause a FIRE!! There barely warm to the touch!

• Sharon
    Sharon

Do you think that instead of tape to hold the lights you could just press the lights in with the large glue dots?

• Thea
      Thea

Sure, why not!

• ERic
      ERic

Use silicon, it's easier to work with and often works better than glue.

• Ladybug
      Ladybug

Glue will get hot and melt from heat of lights.

• Katen
      Katen

Since my fairy lights don’t get hot I would use glue dots for better control of light placement

• LouAnn Miller
    LouAnn Miller

It looks like the lights go from the top of the vase to the bottom. How did you get that effect. When I turn mine upside down to place the lights. The well does not go to the top. It is not very deep. What am I not seeing or what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any answers!

• Thea
      Thea

I guess it depends on what the how the holder is constructed and there is’n’t much you can do if it isn’t deep enough. Did you turn It on though and check if the effect is satisfactory? I’m hoping that enough reflected light shines through the plastic to give the same effect. If not you will have to get another holder.

• Eileen
      Eileen

You should make a couple of slits and pull some of the lights down through the them so the entire vase lights up.

• Mary Elaine Harris Wilson
      Mary Elaine Harris Wilson

Looks like there’s another set stuck inside the holder.

• Thea
      Thea

No, only in the hollow on the underside.

• Monica P Cole
    Monica P Cole

I’m confused are both ends open ? And the one end has the plastic lid ?

• Thea
      Thea

So there is a hollow for the brush, thats where you put the flowers. The bottom is open with the bulge, you put the lights around the bulge but from the bottom.

• Rhonda S
      Rhonda S

The design will vary. This one is likely a one piece injection molded plastic.

The cross section would look similar to a thermos jug, with the inside tube intended to hold the brush and the outside tube for the stability and shape. The lights go between the two tubes. Upside down, it looks like a pillar sticking up in the center.

• Alok
    Alok

what if the poop stains don't come off. :)

• Mija
    Mija

It's very pretty how you get the lights to look that way .. very creative

• Thea
      Thea

No extra tricks other than what is described in the tutorial🙃

• Zelma
      Zelma

She taped them in place

• Kelli
      Kelli

It was a compliment, not an ask for more directionss... and i completely agree! Very beautiful and imaginative!!  Big thumbs up!

• Thea
      Thea

Thanks Kelli

• Sharon Laborde
    Sharon Laborde

How did you get the lights to stay on the inside the vase bye the way I love it

• Kelli
    Kelli

May I have a link to your kids lamp? Please?