Concrete and Wood Vase or Pencil Holder

$15

I've found that mixing materials is a fun way to get creative and spice up your DIY projects. In a cold climate, without a ton of space to work in indoors, I was looking to make something small, simple and versatile. This creation came out of a desire to create a desktop gift for coworkers and use materials I already had on hand. These instructions will walk you through how to make exactly what I did, but with a few modifications you can create a vase that is totally custom and unique to you.

For this project you'll need:

• wood
  • saw
  • Dremel
  • screws
  • egg white carton
  • concrete
  • staple gun
  • toilet paper roll
  • tape
  • clear lacquer

Cut the Wood

Cut the Wood

I began by cutting two pieces of wood that fit snugly into an old egg white carton. You could use a milk carton or juice carton as well. I liked the egg white carton for this project because it was a bit thinner than the others. The first piece was a chunk of 2x12. It will go on the bottom of the carton.

cedar

The second piece was a thin strip of cedar with 45-degree angle cuts on the end.

Cut Notches

Cut Notches

I roughed up the lager piece by cutting notches with a Dremel tool.

Add Screws

Add Screws

I also partially inserted screws on both the inside and top of the wood block. This was to ensure the concrete had something to "latch onto."

Insert into the Egg White Carton

Insert into the Egg White Carton

Next, I inserted the wood pieces into the empty egg white carton. I used a staple gun to staple the carton to the wood pieces so they would stay in place.

Add Concrete

Add Concrete

Once the form is ready, mix your concrete in a small bucket or bowl. I used concrete countertop mix and poured it into the carton with a small paper cup.

Create a Hole for the Pens

Create a Hole for the Pens

To make the hole in the center of the vase/pen holder, use the cardboard from a toilet paper or paper towel roll. Tape off one end, making sure there are no holes that the liquid cement can enter the cylinder. I recommend having your roll ready to go before you pour in the cement so you can push it down into the center of your carton before the concrete begins to harden. Once the carton was half full, I actually held the roll in place and poured the concrete around it.

Tape it Down

Tape it Down

Tape the cylinder down so it stays inserted in the wet cement and doesn't rise out of the carton. Let the cement dry for at least 24 hours. Then, peel away the cardboard from the edges and rip the cardboard cylinder out of the middle.

Concrete Pencil Holder

The cardboard tube will create a nice hole for your pens, pencils or flowers.

DIY Wood and Concrete Vase

The larger wood block creates partial wood bottom to the vase.

DIY Wood and Concrete Pencil Holder

The block will be visible on three sides.

Chip Away Concrete if Needed and Spray with Lacquer

Chip Away Concrete if Needed

The cedar strip will be visible on the 4th side. I did have to chip/peel a bit of cement away from the wood with my fingers because the staples didn't seal the wood to the carton completely. But, I actually liked how it turned out and give the vase a bit more of a "rustic" look. I also sanded down the wood and a bit of the concrete where the materials met which created the chipped or porous concrete look in this photo. To complete the project, I sprayed the entire vase with two coats of a clear lacquer.

DIY Concrete Vase

The project makes a great vase....

Desk Pencil Holder

or a great pen/pencil holder for a desk. Follow me on Instagram at   @woodyworking for more simple woodworking DIY or home improvement projects. If you give this project a shot, I'd love to see your variations with different kinds and shapes of wood. Shoot me some photos!

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles

• HFredda

Chris:

What did your co-workers think of the gift you gave them? 🤔

• Hi! They loved them! I wasn't sure what they'd think, but they're using them and were appreciate of me putting the thought and time into making them something.

• Maria Rogers Cooper

I'm so happy to finally see someone posting the steps for a wood/concrete project! Concrete is my passion and my medium of choice, so thank you!

Did you have any trouble getting the cardboard out of the middle of the concrete??

• Peggy Riggles

I'm no concrete worker, but I'm relatively certain that if it's made for indoor use it's not necessary to use pretreated wood. If it's going to be on the ground outside or like for a fence post, then it would be a problem.

• Sally

That looks like you meant a milk carton, not an egg carton???

• Hi all,

Yes, it's a carton (just like a milk or orange juice carton) that egg whites come in. You could use any square cardboard carton, but in this case, it was indeed an egg white carton.

• Diana Smart

I was SO not in sync with this project, but love seeing people with different tastes liking this. 🙂👍

• Annette Thornton

Great idea to use every day items! 😃 To make them unique for several co-workers & friends, you can use spray paint, stain, colorful beads...the list is endless. I love this project!!