Chunky Knit Tin Can Upcycle

$10

Here's how you can recycle those tin cans into super cute chunky knit planters.
To create the chunky knit effect you need some polymer clay.
Start by rolling our the polymer clay into long strings. Than fold each string in half and twist at the top.
Combine the twisted strands one by one to make it look like a braid. When I say combine simply press into each other lightly. The polymer clay is pretty sticky and adheres nicely on its own. Once you have a braid ready attach it to you tin can.
and pinch off both ends of the braid on the tin can. Notice how the braids attach to the tin can where they're pinched at the top and bottom. These is all you'll need to adhere the braids to the tin can. When you're done working your way all around the tin can bake it in the oven following the manufacturers instructions.
Here's how it looks complete! You create this look on any surface that is bake able. An old cup or cookie tin?
In love with how this turned it! Thank you for tuning in.
You can check out the full DIY on my blog with a video tutorial. I also try and share new DIYs weekly you can see those on my blog as well - for this diy visit - https://www.lilyardor.com/chunky-knit-planter/

Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Lily Oleynik

• Cindy Rubin

Can it be painted ? before or after?

• Sophie wilde

Hi Cindy,yes you could paint it and chalk paint would be a good choice because it sticks to virtually any surfzcd..The thing to remember with this is that the ' knitted effect' is made from polymer clay & it comes in a massive array of colours ..it even looks great taking two of more colours and making an moved or marbled effect by lovely kneading different times together and as it's a plastic polymer it's already self coloured so paint is unecessary.IF you want to definitely paint your knitted pots then why not use a self drying/ gardening clay like DAS and it won't need baking in the ove n DAS or similar costs take most paints beautifully ,acrylic paint again is another plastic polymer and applied fairly thickly or 2 coats thinner with water definitely won't need varnish.Remember that the polymer clay is totally waterproof so you could make planters or a waterproof case by leaving the tin can in THEN baking can& clay adhered to each other in oven..If you use DAS if you give it t of varnish a 50/50 mix of PVAglue and water or Modge Podge both create a lovely waterproof type of varnish and works nice on painted pebbles and decoupaged jam users too ,they look stunning and very vintage. SoRRY this is so long ,when I comes to craft I get carried away :) xx

• Suzi B

Can this be used outside????

• Angie Weisheit

I absolutely love this!! I'm assuming glass jars would work as well? My daughter was looking for something pretty to put a plant in but didn't have the money for one she saw in a store. Now I can make her what she wanted! 💗

• Phyllis

I love this. I've never had an interest in working with clay, but you've changed my mind. This is something that would be fun with my grandsons. Or alone.

• Dee

so so cuteeeeee!!! tfs