Chunky Knit Tin Can Upcycle

$10

Here's how you can recycle those tin cans into super cute chunky knit planters.
To create the chunky knit effect you need some polymer clay.
Start by rolling our the polymer clay into long strings. Than fold each string in half and twist at the top.
Combine the twisted strands one by one to make it look like a braid. When I say combine simply press into each other lightly. The polymer clay is pretty sticky and adheres nicely on its own. Once you have a braid ready attach it to you tin can.
and pinch off both ends of the braid on the tin can. Notice how the braids attach to the tin can where they're pinched at the top and bottom. These is all you'll need to adhere the braids to the tin can. When you're done working your way all around the tin can bake it in the oven following the manufacturers instructions.
Here's how it looks complete! You create this look on any surface that is bake able. An old cup or cookie tin?
In love with how this turned it! Thank you for tuning in.
You can check out the full DIY on my blog with a video tutorial. I also try and share new DIYs weekly you can see those on my blog as well - for this diy visit - https://www.lilyardor.com/chunky-knit-planter/

Lily Oleynik

• Cindy Rubin

Can it be painted ? before or after?

• Mandy Pontet

You can paint polymer clay but as it is available in multitude of colours, I would recommend using a pre-coloured clay for a more professional finish. If you wanted to achieve a multi coloured knitted look like a Christmas jumper, then painting would be easier.

• Suzi B

Can this be used outside????

• Angie Weisheit

I absolutely love this!! I'm assuming glass jars would work as well? My daughter was looking for something pretty to put a plant in but didn't have the money for one she saw in a store. Now I can make her what she wanted! 💗

• Phyllis

I love this. I've never had an interest in working with clay, but you've changed my mind. This is something that would be fun with my grandsons. Or alone.

• Dee

so so cuteeeeee!!! tfs