Wooden Cutting Board

$25

With strips of wood that we glued together, we made a new cutting board of three colours!
The finished product
We had some wood in the corner of our storage unit. Sometimes our neighbour gifts us wood he doesn't need anymore. The benefit of living next door to a carpenter!He had strips of 3.5" of beech and oak. Together with the 7" by 7" of mahogany wood we had, we made it all happen. 
We glued it using wood glue and pressed it together with four clamps, two on each side.We placed it to rest for 24 hours until it was set.Then, using a Makita sander, we made both sides of the board perfectly smooth.
With a router (trimmer), we trimmed the edges to make it smooth and round. It wasn't effortless to reach all the sides and make the perfect trim. The clamp kept interrupting us. So we did it very slowly... A router table would have come in handy! If only we had one...
Then, I went to the kitchen and tried to copy the handle we had on our plastic board. I was using a simple pencil mark and a ruler to set it in the middle.
With extra cautious using a router, my husband cut the handle out. We took the combination of three kinds of wood with different density under consideration and trimmed 3mm in depth each round. 
Halfway there...
After everything was cut out and ready, came the magical part. We cleaned the board using air pressure, and set it outside in the spray zone. I'm addicted to applying oil to wooden surfaces, it makes everything so shiny and exclusive.We applied a thick layer of Tung oil to each side of the board using a sponge, and let it sit with it for a few minutes. Afterwards, we removed it using an old towel. 
We set it aside, and repeated it in the following day, 
The next morning we applied a second layer of oil, set it to rest and removed it with a towel. This way, we guaranteed a smooth and sealed surface. 
I like how the oil makes the different colour pop. (Pardon the flash in the picture).We set it to rest with the oil for 48 hours and then, gave it a good wash with dish soap.

Ready to use and to cut this fantastic pineapple we found at the farmer's market! And yes, we also made the knife, but that's a different story... :) 

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsWRzNhgyfq/

• Mamamia

I use Howards"s Butcher Block Conditioner for all my cutting boards and wooden utensils, any wood used for food, everytime I wash them or wipe them after use. It is food safe. I bought it at Lowes

• Marthine s

Yes I would try this project. I just moved into a new home. I am starting over at the age of 60. Making a lot of my items for the home.

Thank you