Asked on Dec 28, 2019

How can I get rid of mold in my room?

Becky at Flipping the FlipSharonHolly Bertone | Pink Fortitude
+7

Answered

Í need somting dir cleaning my badroom, IAm alérgic to de mold


10 answers
  • Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut
    on Dec 28, 2019

    Hi Noemi,

    If you are allergic, I'd suggest that you get out of the room and call a professional. If you feel you can work on cleaning it up yourself, plain white vinegar can kill most mold. However if you start cleaning, some of it will be in the air so your allergy could definitely be affected. If you can get a safety mask designed for mold, that should help. Wishing you the best.

  • Nan W.
    Nan W.
    on Dec 28, 2019

    Noemi: mold is NOT something to mess with. Professionals can mitigate -- and they wear protective clothing and gear.

  • I agree with Linda, I’m allergic to mold and cleaning it causes big issues for me. Plus there are different kinds of mold, some require deeper cleaning. Best to have it evaluated. This article may help though: https://www.familyhandyman.com/cleaning/mold-and-mildew/how-to-remove-mold/

  • Pamela
    Pamela
    on Dec 28, 2019

    Hi ! Is it mold or mildew ? Either way you will need a cleaner with bleach to kill it . It would probably be best if you could get someone to do it for you , since it might aggravate your allergy ! If you don't have anyone to do it for you , get a respirator to wear and keep the Windows ( and door ) open . Also what room , bathroom or bedroom ? Whatever room it is in , you need to find out where the dampness is coming from !!!that is why you have mold . If it's the bathroom , make sure you open the window and or door after you shower for at least a half an hour to let the room dry out . I keep a squeegee in the shower and use it on the shower walls and doors each time I shower . This gets rid of the excess water and helps the room dry out faster , not to mention that it make cleaning the shower area much easier and less time consuming !!! If your mold is in your bedroom , that is a different matter , for that you will need someone to come and find out what the issue is , it could be a leak in your roof or piles ... Good luck !!!

  • Natalie
    Natalie
    on Dec 28, 2019

    Hydrogen peroxide can kill mold. But if you're really allergic, you may just need to hire a pro.

    Clean up the mold with hydrogen peroxide, fix the source of what is creating the mold, and then paint over the mold stains with a paint that is made to stop mold.

  • Everyone is allergic to mold, and if bad enough, can really make you ill. Vinegar kills mold spores, bleach does not. It's an old wives tale. Read this:


    https://www.servicemaster-restoration-cleaning.com/2017/03/mold-myths/


    If the mold is that severe, call in the professionals.

  • Cynthia H
    Cynthia H
    on Dec 29, 2019

    If you rent, make the landlord pay to correct it. If you own the home, consider having a professional determine the cause and correct and mediation.

  • There are several ways to get rid of mold, but most importantly, you need to address the root cause to keep it from returning. This article focuses on the bathroom, but is an overall great article that covers methods of how to remove mold, if bleach is safe to use, and how to prevent it from coming back. Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

    https://pinkfortitude.com/mold-in-the-shower/

    PS - We have a FREE eBook with recipes for all of my homemade and all-natural cleaners. You can download it here --> https://pinkfortitude.com/thank#GreenClean

  • Sharon
    Sharon
    on Dec 31, 2019

    If you've developed an allergy, you've been exposed for awhile. I got an allergy to mold on the job and here is how I handle it.

    A dehumidifier will take excess moisture out of the air. A negative ion generator/air filter will remove mold from the air. Wash all soft surfaces and use 1/2c 20 Mule Team Laundry Borax in the washer.

    If there is mold on the walls, windows, wash them down with vinegar water and run a fan to dry it fast.

    If you have a spot where the mold is, you can buy a spray called Concrobium on Amazon to kill the mold. You must stop the water from infiltrating this area by doing the necessary repairs to roof, pipes etc. If the drywall is contaminated replace it.

    If you had a flood and your flooring is contaminated, have the flooring removed. Homeowners insurance covers these types of accidents. There are quite a few sites, that tell you how to clean up after a flood.... like FEMA or the Red Cross.


  • You definitely need to find out where the mold is coming from and fix that first. Afterward you can clean it but sounds like it may be better to have a pro do it if you’re allergic.

Your comment...