Removal of Popcorn Ceiling, Pooper Scooper Saves the Day!!!!

$3.

I have always wanted to remove the popcorn ceiling in my home, not knowing how I started in the smallest room in the house, the bathroom!!

In this picture I finally found my phone!!! (Phew)....

I tried a squeegee, a scrub brush, a swifter using just the prongs that holds the material pad, a small plastic rake I use to brush my shag rug, but OVERALL the best method was a .69 cent popper scooper.

The before picture of the bathroom ceiling.

It was a messy dusty disaster. Cover your eyes, wear glasses, and a nose/mouth mask.

The very best method - I was so afraid to use a scraper for fear of gouging the Sheetrock. This .69 cent dollar store scooper was a brilliant way to prevent that from happening.

Didn’t take long to remove the popcorn but several fresh air breaks were necessary. It’s hard to see clearly but the little balls are gone. NO gouging at all on the Sheetrock.

This side is ready for paint. I used a piece of folded sandpaper to remove the few balls left in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling. I can see clearly from this picture that my AC vents need painting

This is what I mean about the nooks. No biggie, actually quite quick.

This is a picture of my kitchen. The popcorn is everywhere kitchen, dining room, halls, closets, both bedrooms AND the garage!!!!!

HOWEVER:

It’s SUCH A MESSY JOB that I think I will look into covering the popcorn in the remainder of the house with a tin ceiling.

No materials other than vacuume, broom, and a very necessary shower!
Pooper scooper from the dollar store, a face mask, and safety glasses.

• Carie

I have popcorn EVERYWHERE as well but I keep being told from everyone that it has to be removed professionally because it has asbestos in it because of the dust. Did you notice alot of dust? Did it come to a somewhat smooth finish or did you have to sand a lot?

• Pamala McBrayer

The asbestos danger is negligible if you wear a respirator. I have worked in older homes removing old tile, lead paint, asbestos outdoor siding. Still here, not dead, no cancer...and I worked in industrial environments where shipboard asbestos was being removed. Wear the protective gear and dampen the area of removal to keep dust knocked down. Tape off vents/returns. Install plastic sheeting to prevent travel to another room/area

• Toni Kilpatrick

What other methods are there to cover popcorn with out having to remove it? What a messy ordeal it would be! I dread it. In hindsight it should have been removed prior to our moving in! Many thanks for sharing your project!

• Sheryl Gregory

I watched a repair crew at our house doing popcorn removal in three rooms. They first sprayed it with water to soften it and contain the material to reduce dust. Then they scraped, and it came off fairly quickly. Three thoughts: one, the hat & eye protection are good, but I'd add coveralls and a filtering mask as asbestos is a serious hazard to your health and others' as well; two, I think I'd try attaching a long handle (old broom? ) to that pooper scooper to see if it could work from the floor (might not, but worth a try if ladders are an issue for you) ; three, I'd hang plastic sheeting (like painter's drop cloth or old long shower curtain) in the doorway to keep any dust from leaving the room. In our kitchen, they also covered all cabinets, stove, refrigerator, etc., so they didn't need much more than a light vacuuming after. Remember, this dust is carcinogenic. You don't want anyone, ever, to breathe a mite of it. Take off the protective gear in a protected area, & don't walk thru any other room to get there. Take it seriously, or hire the asbestos abatement crew & be safe.

• Franny Pecoraro Higgins

I have popcorn ceiling in living room which has vaulted ceilings with angles. It has a hint of silver glitter. I LOVE IT STILL !!!

• Helen
    15 minutes ago

I removed popcorn stucco from my main floor. I bought a wide scraper, rounded the corners so they wouldn’t cut into the drywall. Gently sprayed the ceiling, small areas at a time with a garden sprayer filled with room temperature water. No dust, no small balls left in the ceiling. Just rolled up the plastic on the floor with the mess and carried it out. Don’t wet the ceiling too much because the water will loosen the drywall tape.