$5 Earth Friendly Coffee Sack Dog Bed

$5

Use an old coffee sack to make a rustic dog bed. This takes just minutes!
After we lost our home to the CA Valley Fire, we lived in a few different places, the last being a lakeside rental. Our dog, Molly, loved the lake water, but it was SMELLY, and so was she... and so was her bed! When we found our forever home, I let her have her dog bed in the house for just a few days (couldn't take it away from her since this was her 5th home since the fire) but then I couldn't stand the smell any longer. I looked for a new bed and couldn't find anything that would work with our rustic decor, so here's what I did instead:
I had an extra coffee sack left over from my dining room chair makeover (see those chairs on my Instagram page @jagcagdesign). You can find coffee sacks pretty cheap on Ebay or Etsy. I purchased a lot of 5 sacks for $25. This one had already been cut at one end.
I also had some leftover foam from my Mop Bucket Ottoman project. I hear it is easiest to cut the foam with an electric knife, but I don't have one...so I use a "sawing" motion with a regular bread knife. I cut two layers that were slightly smaller than the coffee sack. If you don't have any foam, you can purchase it at JoAnns Fabrics or lots of other places online. Also, the dog bed inserts that you can purchase for dog kennels (they run about $15-20) will fit perfectly inside the sack! 
Then all you have to do is put the foam (or purchased insert) inside the sack!  I didn't even sew it closed, I just put the cut side on the bottom. Molly approves -- although in this pic she is giving me a bit of stink eye! :)
If you have a dog that might like a softer material, you could stitch a cover out of a painter's drop cloth. This would also be washable (the burlap is not washable but that does not worry me, as I just replace it with a new one and place the old one in the garden for weed control).
BTW, this photo was taken when we first moved into our home. We have been here for a few years, and I have since whitewashed the brick. That was another EASY project, and you can see it on my Instagram page @jagcagdesign. Browse through my photos and also see my story highlights for the how-to. I would love it if you would follow my page!
Happy DIYing,xoJamey

Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers

• Cindy

so Im wondering, I bought some dog pillows for my lab/rotty at tractor supply, they were only 30 for his size. They are getting stinky now and because of how much hair he sheds I dont want to throw them in the washer so Im wondering if making them is actually cheaper or if the pillows I bought are actually a better deal?

• @JagCagDesign

I need to look for those, thank you for sharing!

• Em

Got to agree with the scratchy part on older dogs (especially) elbows. There are so many upholstery materials in the bargain bins at places that sell material that are strong, washable and much softer. I made pillows out the the sacks, stuffing them with old bed pillows for the floor of my deck to sit on the floor. (Dog's don't wear clothes to protect them from the scratchy material.....at least mine don't)

• Jamey Mariah Gill

Absolutely - do what is best for your dog! I love the look of burlap and Molly is a young dog. She actually likes rough surfaces for rolling and scratching on. And I agree, there are some great bargain fabrics! Even upcycling vintage blankets or quilts from the thrift store would be good!